Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Noise  (Read 1619 times)

larry_357

• Texas X Rider OverLord
Noise
« on: August 30, 2009, 08:55:11 AM »

Ok yesterday went to the tech session and did a valve adjustment and installed the back off plates finally after doing the pair valve thing.In order to do the valve adjestment had to undo the front exaust to remove the cover to get to the timing area.After getting the thing back together made a noise it was not making before and thought it was an exaust leak so tightened the pipe a little more.On the way home would pop between shifting and a bit more than it used to on decel.After getting home replaced the front crush gaasket but still making that weird noise from the engine any ideas?I sent Steve a pm.It ran great seemes a bit quicker on excell and no missing at any speed you run just the poppping between gears.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 08:57:25 AM by larry_357 »
Alvin,Texas

Ironhorse1800

• Old Timer
Re: Noise
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 10:39:09 AM »

If you put in BACK off plates, maybe they backed off!  :stickpoke:

Did you put high-temp sealant on the block off plate? My front plate leaked and caused decel pops until I sealed it good.

Hoss
Ironhorse1800 -My 2004 1800 N S3

larry_357

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 11:09:37 AM »

That good be it and it is an easy start anyway.
Alvin,Texas

larry_357

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 02:46:45 PM »

A little permatex gasket around each one now quiet asa mouse.I did notice the front block off plate did not look right before removing it and that is where the noise was comming from did the back as well.
Alvin,Texas

Ironhorse1800

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 02:55:45 PM »

Good deal! Glad it was that simple.
Ironhorse1800 -My 2004 1800 N S3

MRVTX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Magnolia, TX
    • What I do...
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 03:39:23 PM »

Larry,

Glad you got it fixed, 'cause when you took off yesterday and started decelerating, I heard the loud popping.  :ohwow:

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 03:45:46 PM »

Good news Larry, usually the little things that get ya  ;)
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

larry_357

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 03:53:24 PM »

I am glad that took care of it was not looking forward to pulling all the other things back off the bike.It is pretty easy to take the tank off and reinstall it in a jiffy.
Alvin,Texas

larry_357

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 06:22:47 PM »

Just had the chance to take it out for a run and it ran great a little popping on decel but was doing that before and did not feel like fooling with the carb today.Actually did not seem to be as bad as before but I can live with it.
Alvin,Texas

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 07:26:42 PM »

Larry, if your engine is properly tuned you should be getting some deceleration popping; just not a whole lot of loud popping.
02 1800C

POGOGOLF

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Jeff in GA - '02 1800 C
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 04:34:35 AM »

Larry, if your engine is properly tuned you should be getting some deceleration popping; just not a whole lot of loud popping.
T-Rex said that back in '01-'02 and having ridden for years in a deer infested area, I LOVE A GOOD POP every now and then!  :agree:  :c  :thumbup:  :cool2:
Ride Safe!! Jeff in GA <>< I believe in Easter
'02 1800 C model - 57,000 miles and climbing

DEMON

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 06:56:42 AM »

Ok yesterday went to the tech session and did a valve adjustment and installed the back off plates finally after doing the pair valve thing.In order to do the valve adjestment had to undo the front exaust to remove the cover to get to the timing area.After getting the thing back together made a noise it was not making before and thought it was an exaust leak so tightened the pipe a little more.On the way home would pop between shifting and a bit more than it used to on decel.After getting home replaced the front crush gaasket but still making that weird noise from the engine any ideas?I sent Steve a pm.It ran great seemes a bit quicker on excell and no missing at any speed you run just the poppping between gears.

Let me guess... you let my daddy Gumbo work on your bike eh?

larry_357

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 08:07:55 AM »

Gabe your right he helped but did a good job along with Steve.A good thing to remember is if you install the block off plates use a little high temp sealant.When I went to remove the front plate noticed one side did not seem to fit like it should have so did both with the permatex.I don't mind a little poppinh and in the hill country it comes in handy.
Alvin,Texas

MRVTX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Magnolia, TX
    • What I do...
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 08:53:54 PM »

Actually, mine is properly tuned, and I don't get any popping at all!  :thumbup:

RedDragon

• Master of Monumental Proportions
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 09:08:46 PM »

Actually, mine is properly tuned, and I don't get any popping at all!  :thumbup:
:-X

2005 VTX 1800C Red Tribal Flame
2005 Yamaha FZ1 Silver
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal