Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Before I take it to the Stealer (rip you a new one tech)....................  (Read 1021 times)

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.

i have the 2006 1800 Neo with a heel/toe shifter.   When I upshift the lever doesn't come back down.  It just sticks.  I have to gently pat it down with my foot to put it back in place to shift up to the next gear.  Not something i want to be doing.  Does anyone have an idea or experienced this?  Oh by the way, I have about 17,000 miles on it. ???
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

SteveS

• Regular Advanced
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • 2006 VTX 1300R,2005 GL 1800,2013 Goldwing Trike

I would check the shifter linkage.

Clean,and lube it first.

While doing this see if any thing looks to be bent.

wwaggett

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Clear Lake, Texas Always busy doing nothing at all

I would check the shifter linkage.

Clean,and lube it first.
While doing this see if any thing looks to be bent.

:agree: Common problem with the heel toe shifters.

hooter

• Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)

Yep just clean it.  :c :c :c :flag:
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

grapeape

• Old Timer
  • Big Blurple Monkey with a Darkside!

Had the same problem with my 2003 - 1800R on the 3rd day after buying from original owner. I felt sick. Thought the tranny was toast or something major was wrong. Stealer "diagnosed" it over the phone as more than likely a bent sifter fork. Said they would have to pull motor, split case and "inspect". He said this problem is most commonly caused by abuse so extended Honda warranty probably would not cover. I went online and discovered that others had experiecned the same problem. Solution is (as the earlier replies suggest) to remove shifter, clean, lube (I used white lithum grease) and replace. I also removed chrome cover just aft of the shifter to expose and remove the shift linkage which has rubber dust covers over the ball joints. I pushed back the rubber covers, cleaned and lubed the ball joints then slid the rubber covers back in place. Works perfectly.

No wonder they are called Stealerships.
The is no upside in messin' with things you don't understand.

2003 VTX1800R, Goodyear Triple Tread 205/60R/16, V&H Big Shots, PCIII

CouldBFaster

• Texas X Rider OverLord

Had the same problem with my 2003 - 1800R on the 3rd day after buying from original owner. I felt sick. Thought the tranny was toast or something major was wrong. Stealer "diagnosed" it over the phone as more than likely a bent sifter fork. Said they would have to pull motor, split case and "inspect". He said this problem is most commonly caused by abuse so extended Honda warranty probably would not cover. I went online and discovered that others had experiecned the same problem. Solution is (as the earlier replies suggest) to remove shifter, clean, lube (I used white lithum grease) and replace. I also removed chrome cover just aft of the shifter to expose and remove the shift linkage which has rubber dust covers over the ball joints. I pushed back the rubber covers, cleaned and lubed the ball joints then slid the rubber covers back in place. Works perfectly.

No wonder they are called Stealerships.

I agree.  
Same issue with mine. A little white lithum grease mine.
Catching a yellow-jacket in your shirt at seventy miles per hour can double your vocabulary.

Honest officer .... I aint driving fast ..... just flying low ....

"I'll keep my money, my freedom and my guns, You can keep the "change"."

┌П┐ (•_•)┌П┐

matap

• Board
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.

yeah, thanks for the help, that's exactly what I did.  just pulled everything back and lubed it up.  works fine now. 
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal