Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rideing the turtle  (Read 1854 times)

tom cat

• Texas X Rider OverLord
Rideing the turtle
« on: July 30, 2006, 04:18:27 PM »

I been reading Trappers stories on the big board, and got inspired. I was raised in a very small town called Hedley. The one big event in Hedley is the cotton festival, with a parade and floats a old fiddlers contest and lots of drinking. It was a matter of days untill the big event a basket ball game was going on at the high school. The usual suspects were rideing around the drag in a pickup as usual drinking beer and seeking any small adventure. When they passed the barn where they build the floats someone niticed a turtle made from a old lawn mower ment to be pulled behind one of the floats. A few beers and a few drags later it was the general concensis, that it would be very cool to tie the turtle to the back of the truck and make the drag. At the last moment Skinnem opeted to ride the turtle. Progress was slow and careful, untill upon passing the letting out basket ball game Skinnem went to spuring the turtle and makeing a lot of noise. At that point the driver saw the lights come on over a highway patroll car. The  parking lot was dispursing so the driver made a run for it with Skinnem still rideing the turtle. He made the first turn onto main with rubber squeeling on the truck, he made the second turn onto the cemitary road at a much faster pace. Within about 1/4 of a mile from that point Sparks were comming from the turtle 80mph and Skinnem was still rideing with a trail of sparks that kooked like the 4th of July. He rode that turtle to the end of the pavement. Big cloud of dust, the rope broke. Skinnem and the turtle stopped in a hay field on the other side of the ditch. He was spitting dirt and cussing his friends when the HiPo went by. Skinnem was battered and brused, but the turtle had made its last run. The boys in the truck got away clean, and returned to pick him up. There was a Turtle behind that float that year, Not as good as the one the float ladies made. It didn't have a drunkin cowboy on it, The whole town tryed to get Skinnem to ride the turtle in the parade, but his turtle rideing days were done.

RD

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Just another Joe in San Antonio
Re: Rideing the turtle
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 05:04:22 PM »

;D ;D Good one! Those were the good ol' days. Remember when we used to look with reverent awe, at the guys who stole the other schools mascot. Sadly, times have changed. :'(
Another proud owner of 2 1800's
04' Honda VTX 1800C
08' Honda GL1800 Goldwing

HeadGuess

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Wills Point, Texas
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 05:24:30 PM »

Thats like the incident at an un-named high school. About 30 years ago the school principal went home to find a horse head in his bed. The school's mascot is a stallion. I never knew who actually done it until here recently we were at a movie talking over old times with the DEACON from my church and his wife. You guessed it the DEACON and his other buddies were the ones that put the dead horses head in the rival school's pincipal's bed! I never would have guessed it. He came clean though.

Boogie

• Master Tejano Rider
  • GULF OF MEXICO
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 07:09:25 PM »

Does anyone know where I can get a Horses Head?   :-\
                      Native Texan, I ride a steel horse

quietguy

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2006, 10:29:56 PM »

Does anyone know where I can get a Horses Head?   :-\

Don Corleone...

1shot1kill

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 11:22:05 PM »

Ok  You all started this so I have to tell mine.
1967&68 we took the Kip's Big Boy (a little fat boy made of plastic, wearing overall's and holding a hambuger over his head) from in front of the resturant and put him in a small circle island in the center of the parking lot of our high school.   This happened maybe 10 or more times over the year.
20 years later, at the reunion, the owner of the resturant chain brought the Big Boy and gave it to our graduating class.  He said we wanted it so bad he thought we should have it now that all the resurants are gone.  It is in the safe keeping of one of the girls of the class of 1968.

Swampfox

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 01:25:04 AM »

Tell me more this is great reading.  I should follow this standers It more like the real world Huh!

twistedrcpilot

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Montgomery Tx. /Lake Conroe TX
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 10:18:52 AM »

ooh, this one time, at band camp.....Ummmm, nevermind.

*Closet Darksider*

solitary-man

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 10:59:41 AM »

I live not far from Hedley and can see that happening there. Little town I am from outside of Sweetwater was the same, it was boering, had to find something to do. The good old days. O0

twistedrcpilot

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Montgomery Tx. /Lake Conroe TX
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 11:08:03 AM »

So, did anyone ever chop the top off of a grocery cart and release the back wheels so that they swivel.  My brother used to pull me on this thing and slingshot it down the street.  After they crowned the road, we stopped doing it because the ditch hurts at 15 mph.

*Closet Darksider*

Boogie

• Master Tejano Rider
  • GULF OF MEXICO
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2006, 11:34:19 AM »

And the saga continues:

Slate Hill - The bent windshield wipers annoyed her. The sex toy glued to her windshield back in June made her furious. But finding a horse's head in her swimming pool yesterday hit Wawayanda Councilwoman Gail Soro right where she lives.

It left her angry and frightened last night, as state police scoured the Orange County town for suspects. They were treating it as a case of harassment and trespassing, at the very least.

Soro and her husband, Ed, were in the pool until about 8:30 p.m. Monday night. Yesterday morning, they noticed the water looked a bit dark. They thought that an animal might have died in the pool.

Ed Soro grabbed the skimmer, raised a dark object from a corner of the pool and called out to his wife as he dragged it to the surface: "That's a horse's head."

She quickly went back into their house. "I was hysterical," she recalled last night.

As the day went on, her hysterics gave way to anger. The stunt with the windshield wipers and the sex toy both happened at Wawayanda Town Hall, where Soro is the lone Democrat on the five-member Town Board.

But the horse's head was brought to their home, while they slept, where their grandchildren come over to swim.

Plus, there's the symbolism. "Everyone's seen 'The Godfather,' " Gail Soro said last night, doing a slow, sad burn as she pondered whether to put surveillance cameras among the many bird feeders hanging above her immaculate lawn.

She was born and raised in this town, and she's never feared for her safety until now.

"There's a message here," she said.

The horse-head scene is from "The Godfather," the 1972 epic that makes most lists of the all-time greatest American movies. In the scene, a movie mogul named Jack Woltz refuses to give a part in his new film to singer Johnny Fontane. The singer's godfather is a mob boss played by Marlon Brando. He arranges for the head of Woltz's prize racehorse to turn up in Woltz's bed while the mogul is sleeping.

"I'll make him an offer he can't refuse," the Godfather explains.

Johnny gets the part.

But that's entertainment. Finding a horse's head in the swimming pool of the home where you've lived for nearly 30 years is not entertainment.

State police said it appeared that the horse was dead before its head was cut off. Police removed the head from the pool and took it to a local veterinarian.

Gail Soro sent her own message last night: She won't be chased out of office. She's up for re-election next year, and she's running. Soro's been right in the middle of tussles over growth and planning that are the hot-button issues in the town.

Still, she wondered if her story would discourage others from running for office.

"Who would want to put up with this?" she said.

Republican Councilman Dave Cole acknowledged that he's knocked heads with Soro, but he flatly condemned what was done to her yesterday.

"This isn't politics. This is beyond politics," Cole said. "This is beyond the pale."

The Soros said they'll never set foot in the pool again. A thin, brownish stain was still visible on the lip of the pool last night.

"My God," Gail Soro said as she looked at the pool last night.

"Don't look over there," her husband softly said.

Native Texan, I ride a steel horse

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal