Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Power Outlet  (Read 1283 times)

RSWhite

• Old Timer
  • Frisco Tx
Power Outlet
« on: July 27, 2009, 12:26:04 PM »

I'm looking to install a power outlet on my '04' 1800 R/S.
Are there existing connectors on the bike for that or will
I have to splice in to the head light or direct to the battery?

2004 1800 Retro Spoke, Spec3, Black/Cherry
"Protect the ones you love...  wear a helmet"

Dusty

Re: Power Outlet
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 04:23:14 PM »

I very rarely do what anyone else would agree with, but like hipshot suggested, I added a fuse block under my left side cover for all my add ons. Each has it's own fuse and doesn't effect anything else on the bike if there is a problem. Takes a little more work and and wire innitially and yes things can be turned on without the key being on but my driving lights are the only thing with a switch. I mounted a dual cigarette lighter like that recently. Next trip to the hill country, I'll have the qbeam ready to harvest some camp meat.  :ohwow:

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 06:53:21 PM »

I'll suggest:

Run a red 10 gauge wire from the positive terminal on the battery to the fuse block (under the seat is a good place to put the block) and then a green 10 gauge wire from the negative terminal on the battery to a series of pigtails with bullet connectors installed on the pigtails. Every accessory runs off of its own fuse, and you don't have to play with frame bolts to ground your accessories. Everything's easy to trace and troubleshoot that way, and your accessories don't affect the other electrical components (or vice versa). And if you have switched your seat bolts to ball detent pins you can get to it quickly and easily. Additionally, if you run 10 gauge wires to your power port, you can jump your bike, or use yours to jump another bike, through the power port with a heavy duty plug. That'll save you having to pull the seat, ECM and battery cover to do the job.
02 1800C

Crewsn

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • leander(austin), texas
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 09:23:13 PM »

check out the following link. on the left side of the screen, scroll down to the "tech write up" section and then click on "accessory power lead". this may be what your looking for. BTW, this guy is highly regarded on the national board. there is alot of good info on his site. good luck and let us know how it turns out. :thumbup:

http://www.bareasschoppers.com/
03 1800 C, airbox mod, K&N filter, roadhouse shorty.

MsVTX1300

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Spring, TX
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 10:14:55 PM »

I have one of these wired into my fuse block.  Have a coax adaptor so I can use it for heated clothing and a cigarette one for cell or anything else that requires that type.  I don't have it placed as in the pic, it is temp placed next to the cover, stuck up under seat slightly...haven't decided where I want it permanently yet!

http://www.powerletproducts.com/shop-by-vehicle/1/345/product/powerlet-socket-kit-24-harness/157

[IMG]

Carol
2014 Victory Cross Country Tour
2006 VTX 1300 (The Lady)

CouldBFaster

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 09:59:57 AM »

I have one of these wired into my fuse block.  Have a coax adaptor so I can use it for heated clothing and a cigarette one for cell or anything else that requires that type.  I don't have it placed as in the pic, it is temp placed next to the cover, stuck up under seat slightly...haven't decided where I want it permanently yet!

http://www.powerletproducts.com/shop-by-vehicle/1/345/product/powerlet-socket-kit-24-harness/157

That's cool I need one.
Catching a yellow-jacket in your shirt at seventy miles per hour can double your vocabulary.

Honest officer .... I aint driving fast ..... just flying low ....

"I'll keep my money, my freedom and my guns, You can keep the "change"."

┌П┐ (•_•)┌П┐

Silver Bullet

• Tejano
  • Humble, TX
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 12:54:58 PM »

If you don't want to permanently mount a power outlet here's another idea. Most of us install a "battery tender" pigtail directly to our batteries. I tuck the end of my behind my side cover so I can access it in 5 seconds without any tools needed. I then bought an power outlet and wired a matching connector to fit my "tender" plug. So every 2nd day on the road I simply plug the power outlet in and charge my cell phone. I keep the outlet plug in my tool compartment.

2006 VTX1300S

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal