Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: flat on rear.  (Read 1766 times)

RicksVTX

• Old Timer
flat on rear.
« on: July 24, 2009, 06:35:52 PM »

knew it would happen sooner or later, but i have a flat on my rear tire.. whats a good way to lift the silly thing so i can remove the rear tire???  hate to pay the dealer 75 bucks to change a sticking flat, but i am not willing to risk droping the thing as well.. No one has a good home brew way i will have to pay them..  Ugghs  help !!!

SouthernXer

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BRAD Allen, Texas
    • Me playing music
Re: flat on rear.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 07:10:26 PM »

a motorcycle jack.   :stickpoke: ;D

Seriously, I am sure someone here lives down there by you that can help ya out. 

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 08:36:16 PM »

If you have a couple of strong backs to help have them pick up the rear while you slide a stack of 2x6s under the frame.
02 1800C

CouldBFaster

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 11:26:41 PM »

where are you at? lets see if we can get you some help.
Catching a yellow-jacket in your shirt at seventy miles per hour can double your vocabulary.

Honest officer .... I aint driving fast ..... just flying low ....

"I'll keep my money, my freedom and my guns, You can keep the "change"."

┌П┐ (•_•)┌П┐

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 08:32:33 AM »

Ok now is the time to go to Sear's and buy a Red jack for your bike. It will be one of the best investments you'll make. You'll use it all the time for stuff, not just flats but for cleaning your bike. It will get it up in the air high enought to do what you need to do, change oil! polish wheels, chrome, go get one! I promise you'll love it more than your wife!

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00950190000P

:agree: Thanks again for your support Gumbo!
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

RicksVTX

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 07:45:56 AM »

The jack is the thing to get. ended up taking it up to Cowboy honda in kyle.. they told me they wouldnt patch the tire and would only replace it for me. I looked at them and said what ?? then he did that cover your a$$ comment. i shook my head and let them replace my tire.. 203.00 later and i rode it back home.. I was able to watch them make the repair and know this is something well within my abilities to do if i just had the jack.. So i am going to get this asap..
Question i have when looking at the jack posted above this post. how to you keep the bike form slipping of the jack. the shop had the handle bars strapped to the work surface so it couldnt rock back and forth??  I have seen some pictures of bike stands where the bike is sitting a foot off the ground.. Are those stands that stable? is that jack that stable?/  Gosh I would hate to have my bike fall and hit the deck.. I am afraid i would lose my cranberries right there watching it slip of the jack..  Ughhs... :ohwow: :banghead: :cuss:

Luckys Lover

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other addiction
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 07:53:03 AM »

You shouldn't have a problem with the bike slipping off the jack. Most of the jacks have rubber under the bike so it won't slide. But if you're really worried about it, go talk to PEPSX and get one of his stands. You jack your bike up slide it over the stand and lower the jack and then you have a firm, open base to work on your bike.
If stupidity got us into this mess, why can stupidity get us out of it? Will Rogers
I don't care what other people think. They don't do it very often!
Of Course it's dirty. It's hard to clean when the tires keep moving.

Ironhorse1800

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 08:53:04 AM »

It sounds like you just missed a chance to pay for that jack. How much of that repair bill went to labor you could have done in your garage?

The Sears jack includes a pair of straps to tie the bike down after it is up in the air. I only use the straps when doing something serious ... like changing a tire. When you drop the wheel, the balance point of the bike changes a lot. The straps will hold it still. Everything I have done so far has been on the Sears jack.

That said, a PEPSX stand is still in my near furture.

Ride safe.
Ironhorse1800 -My 2004 1800 N S3

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 09:00:42 AM »

Gotta agree....get ya a jack.  I don't like the red sears jack, I like the yellow one...

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00950191000P?keyword=atv+jack

But otherwise, yeah.....

And unless you're really careless, the bike won't come off.  Just watch that you have the jack touching the frame in four spots, and viola, up it goes.

I love my PepsX stand, the bike on the stand is solid as a ROCK.  You can pull and tug and stand and whatever, and the bike won't feel like it's moving an inch.  Frankly, the bike is more stable on the pepsx stand than it is sitting on the side stand parked.
My now long gone VTX...

grapeape

• Old Timer
  • Big Blurple Monkey with a Darkside!
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 05:12:41 PM »

After reading the above posts I went to Sears today and bought a red jack. They had several instock at the store in the Woolands Mall $99.00. Got home, put it together (about 3 bolts and 2 nuts) and just had to try it out. About 3/4 of the way up, all hell broke loose, the bike fell over onto the concrete and bouced into my girlfriends Infinity then burst into flames.

No really, it worked great and seems to be a great product. Ironically, I put the bike in neutral and spun the rear wheel to inspect it and low and behold, I found a nail.  :cuss: :banghead:

Oh well, I bought the jack anticipating a journey over into the DARKSIDE. I guess now would be the appropriate time. My bearings are good (at 22K miles) got to find some Moly 60 Paste and go car tire shopping.
The is no upside in messin' with things you don't understand.

2003 VTX1800R, Goodyear Triple Tread 205/60R/16, V&H Big Shots, PCIII

Lucky

• Board
  • Elvis
  • Canyon Lake, TX
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 06:42:37 PM »

After reading the above posts I went to Sears today and bought a red jack. They had several instock at the store in the Woolands Mall $99.00. Got home, put it together (about 3 bolts and 2 nuts) and just had to try it out. About 3/4 of the way up, all hell broke loose, the bike fell over onto the concrete and bouced into my girlfriends Infinity then burst into flames.

No really, it worked great and seems to be a great product. Ironically, I put the bike in neutral and spun the rear wheel to inspect it and low and behold, I found a nail.  :cuss: :banghead:

Oh well, I bought the jack anticipating a journey over into the DARKSIDE. I guess now would be the appropriate time. My bearings are good (at 22K miles) got to find some Moly 60 Paste and go car tire shopping.
You big purple baboon...for 1/2 a second you had me about to cry.
"Lucky" Connie
'06 Pearl Dark Blue 1300C
If you don't love what you're doing, then don't do it.
Your chances of success are directly proportional to the degree of pleasure you derive from what you do.

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 07:10:03 PM »

scared the crap outta me :ohwow:! Ok you got me ;D
It's all just part of the adventure!

grapeape

• Old Timer
  • Big Blurple Monkey with a Darkside!
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2009, 07:11:43 PM »

What was it that got to you? The part about the flames?
The is no upside in messin' with things you don't understand.

2003 VTX1800R, Goodyear Triple Tread 205/60R/16, V&H Big Shots, PCIII

Dusty

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 05:26:20 AM »

I fell for it too.  :rofl:

I have worn my jack out and it's time for a new one. Also have a Dan Stand that I use quite often. Used it last weekend while remounting my floorboards. Climbed on the bike while it was on the stand. Solid!
Something I do also, is watch for tire sales and try to keep a set at the house. That way, if I have a flat, I don't get stuck with paying a high price for a tire.

My .02

DEMON

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2009, 06:54:45 AM »

the bike stand is a must...  I have seen them for $60.00 on sale at sears... I also have a motorcycle lift... it only cost me $300.00 and I love it.

If you look under the table on the picture with the black bike, you will see a PepsX stand... that is the first stand that Dan made...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 06:57:28 AM by DEMON »
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal