Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Paint Forks  (Read 1103 times)

XRaymondX

• Old Timer
  • Bullard, TX
Paint Forks
« on: July 15, 2009, 01:17:46 PM »

Well.  Long Story followed by a short question.

I had a spot on my tank where the paint started to bubble.  Kept getting worse.  2 weeks ago after about a year of the bubbles, it cracked.  The next day, it was a little worse.  I filled my tank up on the way home from work and as I'm pulling back onto the road, I noticed gas leaking from the paint crack.

I left it in the parking lot overnight.  Got my tools and came back. 

Flaked off the paint, and a ton of Bondo, and noticed where the "previous owner" (whoever that may be), had an accident, and somebody repaired the damage.  In an attempt to pull the dent, several holes (about 12-15) were drilled in the tank.  These same holes were then covered in bondo, and an excellent job was done painting and covering the damage.

The gas had eaten the bondo.  I used JB Weld to fix the leak and am now temporarily limping along on this fix.

Not a big deal because now I GET NEW PAINT!!!  WOOHOO!!!

Wife has already ok'd the finances.  Besides, I'm gonna try to do it myself.  So it's not gonna cost so much.

Now, for the question.......

Can I paint the forks?
'02 VraTX 1800C - Retro Apocalyptic, "Road Warrior", Rat Bike.  Did it myself and love it. 

cybrhick

• Master Tejano Rider
  • The outcast
    • Hick Custom Machine Works
Re: Paint Forks
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 04:20:12 PM »

Yes, you can, but the paint will take a beating from rocks and such. Powdercoat is a much better option.
Displaced Texan.

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 05:45:41 PM »

Yes, you can, but the paint will take a beating from rocks and such. Powdercoat is a much better option.
:thumbup:
 Torque had his powdercoated and to this day look really great and that was 2 years ago!!
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

cybrhick

• Master Tejano Rider
  • The outcast
    • Hick Custom Machine Works
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 05:49:01 PM »

I powdered my whole front end.
Displaced Texan.

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 06:56:47 PM »

Ditto on the powdercoat. Additionally, painting aluminum involves a lot pf preparation, and the right combination of primer and paint; the wrong choices will leave you wishing you'd never had such a stupid idea.
02 1800C

ViciousNoob

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 11:51:52 PM »

I powdered my whole front end.

hehehehehehehehheheheheheheheheheh
If I wasn't n00b, I sure would want to be!!! ;-)

POGOGOLF

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Jeff in GA - '02 1800 C
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 04:04:24 AM »

Ditto on the powdercoat. Additionally, painting aluminum involves a lot pf preparation, and the right combination of primer and paint; the wrong choices will leave you wishing you'd never had such a stupid idea.
I'd, personally, buy a new tank. JMHO.
Ride Safe!! Jeff in GA <>< I believe in Easter
'02 1800 C model - 57,000 miles and climbing

Dusty

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 04:35:40 AM »

+1  Patching a patch??????

POGOGOLF

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Jeff in GA - '02 1800 C
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 04:36:51 AM »

+1  Patching a patch??????
That'd echo my thought. :ohwow:
Ride Safe!! Jeff in GA <>< I believe in Easter
'02 1800 C model - 57,000 miles and climbing

XRaymondX

• Old Timer
  • Bullard, TX
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 06:51:38 AM »

The tanks gave me sticker shock.

I actually thought about the patching a patch thing.  But, I figured I could remove that patch, because it is only the bondo. 

Then I could actually repair the holes.  And then do the paint.  I have a great friend that is a welder and he would do the work for me.  I think we can take care of the holes.

I am still debating that part.  I have about a month to make up my mind about the tank. 

Maybe I should just buy a new bike.  Some of the X's on the for sale board are awesome.
'02 VraTX 1800C - Retro Apocalyptic, "Road Warrior", Rat Bike.  Did it myself and love it. 

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 07:12:40 AM »

The tanks gave me sticker shock.

I actually thought about the patching a patch thing.  But, I figured I could remove that patch, because it is only the bondo. 

Then I could actually repair the holes.  And then do the paint.  I have a great friend that is a welder and he would do the work for me.  I think we can take care of the holes.

I am still debating that part.  I have about a month to make up my mind about the tank. 

Maybe I should just buy a new bike.  Some of the X's on the for sale board are awesome.
Could always pick up a tank off of E bay!! There is useally a couple on there!
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal