Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tail of the Dragon  (Read 919 times)

dukester55

• Tejano
Tail of the Dragon
« on: July 12, 2009, 10:49:10 AM »

Me and some buddies are headed to the Dragon at the end of August. The 29th to be exact. Down 360 to 20 and blasting east. We are staying at a camp ground/cabins establishment called Hunt's Lodge in Tellico Plains,Tn. Of course we will do the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway. I'm sure this will open up a big can of worms but we need some other rides for the week we are gonna be there.
So having said that let the posts begin!

Dukester
04 A&M Red VTX 1800R Spec3
owner of a new memphis shades fairing
just because you can't see it doesn't mean it isn't there.

cybrhick

• Master Tejano Rider
  • The outcast
    • Hick Custom Machine Works
Re: Tail of the Dragon
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 04:47:39 PM »

Roll over to Cherokee SC and ride the Blue Ridge Parkway north. You'll love it. Take a jacket. It was 54 degrees on the parkway when I rolled through a week and a half ago.
Displaced Texan.

jmdaniel

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other toy, '77 FJ40...
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 07:21:44 PM »

Be careful, a gal from the Austin Motorcycle Riders Group died there last week.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
-- Unknown

2016 Honda F6B Deluxe
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2003 Honda VTX 1300

POGOGOLF

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Jeff in GA - '02 1800 C
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 05:19:42 AM »

Be careful, a gal from the Austin Motorcycle Riders Group died there last week.
a.) ride through the peg scraping, most flat landers tend to stand the bike up when they experience it; b.) turn your head and look where you want to exit the turn, do NOT look at the front of your scooter; c.) ride within your own level of comfort and experience....it's only 11 miles long and your buddies will be waiting at the end of it when you get there; d.) don't be lulled to sleep on the Skyway, those sweepers are still very sneaky if you aren't used to them; and, e.) have a blast, it is ridden by many more who have no problems whatsoever than it is by those who screw up! JMHO and from my personal experience there. :bikerider:  :thumbup:
Ride Safe!! Jeff in GA <>< I believe in Easter
'02 1800 C model - 57,000 miles and climbing

RicksVTX

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 06:54:48 PM »

never to slow on the twisty's for me. peg scraping is not my thing. i would rather ride slow and enjoy the area than tempt fate by riding outside my abilities...

Sorry to hear about that rider Jim.. Its never good to hear about one of the gang going down hard..   I friend of mine lost thier 19 year old daughter just two weeks ago on a damn dirt bike of all things.. Only 3 trees on the entire 10 acres and Cherie hit all 3 of them..

People.. I dont care how much they beg to ride your bike. Dont let them unless you are damn sure they know how to ride !!!! there are 3 teenage boys that have the tragic death of a close friend to live with now.. it wasn't a pretty from what I have been told...

RIP Cherie..

jmdaniel

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other toy, '77 FJ40...
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 06:12:14 AM »

Here is a news story on that crash:

http://www.wate.com/global/story.asp?s=10657935
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
-- Unknown

2016 Honda F6B Deluxe
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2003 Honda VTX 1300

DEMON

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 03:23:14 PM »

Roll over to Cherokee SC and ride the Blue Ridge Parkway north. You'll love it. Take a jacket. It was 54 degrees on the parkway when I rolled through a week and a half ago.

this part of the ride is ok, IMO it could be 30 miles long after that is all the same over and over and over

POGOGOLF

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Jeff in GA - '02 1800 C
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 04:12:17 AM »

Here is a news story on that crash:

http://www.wate.com/global/story.asp?s=10657935
Too bad...folks who aren't used to curves in bunches can hurt themselves (or others) when they get outside their comfort zone/riding ability...I truly feel for her friends and family.  :'(
Ride Safe!! Jeff in GA <>< I believe in Easter
'02 1800 C model - 57,000 miles and climbing

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal