Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bike trailer  (Read 1050 times)

Lucky

• Board
  • Elvis
  • Canyon Lake, TX
    • Facebook
Bike trailer
« on: June 22, 2009, 01:48:58 PM »

Saw this link to a different way to tow a bike.  Would this be something that could be used with our shaft driven bikes or would it cause any probs.  Has anyone used or seen used one of these?  I like the lack of storage area this would require and that it can be used to hold up our bikes since we don't have center stands.

http://www.cycle-tow.com/default.htm
"Lucky" Connie
'06 Pearl Dark Blue 1300C
If you don't love what you're doing, then don't do it.
Your chances of success are directly proportional to the degree of pleasure you derive from what you do.

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
Re: Bike trailer
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 01:58:31 PM »

I really wouldn't see any trouble with the VTX being towed by it except you rear tire is going to wear almost like you were riding it!  ::)
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

Lucky

• Board
  • Elvis
  • Canyon Lake, TX
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 02:24:30 PM »

I really wouldn't see any trouble with the VTX being towed by it except you rear tire is going to wear almost like you were riding it!  ::)

They claim that the wear on your rear tire would be minimal due to the fact that you don't have passenger weight on it (no lame comments here fellers) and that the acceleration and braking comes from the tow vehicle and not the bike itself.
"Lucky" Connie
'06 Pearl Dark Blue 1300C
If you don't love what you're doing, then don't do it.
Your chances of success are directly proportional to the degree of pleasure you derive from what you do.

Luckys Lover

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other addiction
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 02:29:46 PM »

How much lubrication does the final drive get when the bike is tilted up like that? Because even in neutral, the rear wheel, the hub, the shaft and the final drive are turning at highway speeds. It should be submerged in oil but is that enough?
If stupidity got us into this mess, why can stupidity get us out of it? Will Rogers
I don't care what other people think. They don't do it very often!
Of Course it's dirty. It's hard to clean when the tires keep moving.

opos04

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 02:30:55 PM »

I have a 4X8 metal trailer with a wheel chock. Works great. I'm not sure about towing the bike due to not missing things in the middle of the road. Rubber Alligators! Just mu 2 cents.
2007 1800N Charcoal

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 02:44:36 PM »

I have a 4X8 metal trailer with a wheel chock. Works great. I'm not sure about towing the bike due to not missing things in the middle of the road. Rubber Alligators! Just mu 2 cents.
I like your idea!!  :thumbup:
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 05:21:02 PM »

I towed my Harley from Cali using a similar contraption but it was chain drive and I took off the chain. Wouldn't do it with a shaft drive. Maybe ok but I wouldn't doit.
It's all just part of the adventure!

sherri

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • The Woodlands
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 09:14:07 PM »

It's a good price but don't think I would do it to my bike.

thought this was interesting found in FAQ's 3. Do I need to remove my chain?

We have never had a problem with either chain or belt drive. However, when towing a Japanese bike on the rear wheel, engine off, you might want to pull the chain. You can peel it away from the rear sprocket, and zip tie it to the swing arm or chain guard. If your bike has an endless chain you can easily add a master link or have a mechanic do it for you. You need to secure the chain away from the sprocket. The wheel and sprocket need to rotate freely and clear of the chain.

On Japanese bikes with driveshafts, shaft removal is a big deal and not worth the time and expense. Some Japanese shaft bikes have separate oil reservoirs, and should be towable. You should ask your independent mechanic for an opinion on this.

If you ever see me with horns sticking out of my helmet
call an ambulance  .  .  .  .    I’ve hit a deer

VTreX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Rubythroatedhumming VT-reX Temple TX
    • http://www.patriotguard.org/photos/listpics.asp?a=show&ID=395
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 09:25:27 PM »

I had a friend in the 1960's drill a hole in the ball the size of the front axle pull the front tire put it in the trunk put the axle through the ball and towed it to Calif.... :thumbup: :thumbup: :bikerider: :bikerider: :bikerider:
03-C U-green It is neither those in the round nor the square that reach the top, but those in the spiral.... Now have added a red ''07 Gold Wing with everything except an AIRBAG!!  SOLD THE WING  SAD DAY!!

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 07:10:41 AM »

I had a friend in the 1960's drill a hole in the ball the size of the front axle pull the front tire put it in the trunk put the axle through the ball and towed it to Calif.... :thumbup: :thumbup: :bikerider: :bikerider: :bikerider:
that's what I did only I made a T the size of the axle, pulled the front wheel and chain, ran tie downs from the hndle bars , worked great, pulled like a one wheeled trailer. just wouldn't do it to a shaft drive.
It's all just part of the adventure!

CouldBFaster

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 07:22:35 AM »

it just looks like trouble waiting to happen. its a good idea for someones bike other than mine.
Catching a yellow-jacket in your shirt at seventy miles per hour can double your vocabulary.

Honest officer .... I aint driving fast ..... just flying low ....

"I'll keep my money, my freedom and my guns, You can keep the "change"."

┌П┐ (•_•)┌П┐

beaux43

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • "Punxher"
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 07:40:26 AM »

:agree:
'03 1800R
'08 GL1800 GoldWing

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally wornout, shouting..."What a Ride!"

Txcajun

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2009, 09:32:39 PM »

it just looks like trouble waiting to happen. its a good idea for someones bike other than mine.
Come on Trent, let's give it a shot. I'll even pull it behind my truck, just for you. :stickpoke: :stickpoke: :stickpoke:
Les Coullion Coup d'e'tat peux Embrasse Moi Tchew!              03 1800 retro TRAILER QUEEN EXTRORDINAIRE "SMELL THE BUMPER"

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal