Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Carpal Tunnel  (Read 3490 times)

Lucky

• Board
  • Elvis
  • Canyon Lake, TX
    • Facebook
Carpal Tunnel
« on: June 10, 2009, 02:07:30 PM »

Saw this post on another forum and thought it might be of interest to some.

Many of you have had or are going to have or know some one who has had Carpal Tunnel Release surgery ...or  is experiencing Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.    I had surgery on my right wrist three years ago and I have to tell you it was a god send to have feeling back in my fingers and thumb after many years.   Recently the old injury has flared up a bit to the point it appeared that it was going to affect my riding season.   

While on a business trip a few weeks ago I bumped into a hand surgeon who rides sport bikes.    It started off as an innocent conversation about motorcycles then I briefly mentioned my old age and infirmities.  Then he happened to mention that he was a hand surgeon and thought he could help.  We had some pretty deep conversations about the why's and why for's  of motorcycles and hand nerves when he mentioned some gloves he designed to help with the problem.   

So I bought a pair ...I have to tell you that the results are darn near miraculous !     Here is what we have done so far.

1. I purchased a pair of  QWI  Nerve Protection Motorcycle Gloves - they are wonderful.
   2. Bar End or Grip End weights - cheap way to get the handle bars to stop vibrating - yes they do work and they are less than $50 with most generic ones going for less than $25.  Kuryakyn makes them for the ISO grips for approx $50 . Again most dealers do not stock them - so they have to order them .  "Parts Unlimited"  is a good source.
   3. Throttle Lock so you can rest your hand when needed. Prices range from $35 to $200.
   4. Grab On Grip Covers - rubber and foam grip covers - cost about $13 at your local scooter shop - they have to order them out of Parts Unlimited - but they do help as well. I would not try to put them over top of Kuyakyn grips...that would look a bit silly - but if you have stock grips then these will surely help.

I have tried and incorporated all four items into my two bikes and I have to tell you I am a happy motorcycle rider again.  No more numbness or tingling in the hands and riding is much more enjoyable.

Check out the gloves at  www.qwinerveprotector.com  .  they are "fuggly"  but they work.  I got the PMLP-002 fingerless gloves - WOW whatta difference !   I rode over 300 miles last Sunday and was ready for more .  It is really nice when something works so well.   QWI also offers a 30 day money back 100% satisfaction guarantee with each pair of gloves.

This is not a commercial,   I have no interest in the company ......I just wanted to share what works .
"Lucky" Connie
'06 Pearl Dark Blue 1300C
If you don't love what you're doing, then don't do it.
Your chances of success are directly proportional to the degree of pleasure you derive from what you do.

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
Re: Carpal Tunnel
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 02:16:47 PM »

I should probably look into those.  Although sometimes i feel more comfortable riding without gloves.  when i wear my current gloves i feel like the palms of my hands start to go numb or hurt faster than without.  Maybe be an investment, however, surgery is in the horizon for my future and probably inevitable.  :popcorn:
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

jarubio

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Round Rock, TX
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 02:26:21 PM »

I have a pair of these gloves, they work great. I have had them for three years now. QWI are always at ROT. The last two years the ladies that sell these have been inside the A/C vendor area. Look them up. The only complain I have about them like anything else, you have to break them in. After they are broken inn, they are very comfortable. I'll be in and out of Geri's booth at ROT if you want to take a look at the gloves or have any questions. 
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 12:42:26 PM by jarubio »
2005 VTX 1300
Vance & Hines Big Shots Staggered
Kuryakyn Pro Series Hypercharger
K&N Air Filter
Xtreme Revolution Fairing
Cobra Sissy Bar
Lindby Custom Engine Gaurd
Kuryakyn Foot Pegs
I lost count of all of the chrome she has :-D

RocknRoll

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Kingwood, TX
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 11:12:51 AM »

If you do the research you will find that women, specifically more senior women, (menopausal) are particularly susceptible to carpal tunnel problems.  Not to say that men don't have the problem - they do - but they are more in touch with their feminine side!! :stickpoke: :pot:
Wanna make God laugh?  -  Tell him your plans!

Wanna make God angry?  -  Treat Him with indifference!

Isorg

• Administrator
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • 2007 1300c, 2002 Yamaha fz1
    • Izzy's Mind
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 11:20:36 AM »

If you do the research you will find that women, specifically more senior women, (menopausal) are particularly susceptible to carpal tunnel problems.  Not to say that men don't have the problem - they do - but they are more in touch with their feminine side!! :stickpoke: :pot:

Repetitive strain injury.....  :stickpoke:

2007 1300c VTX
2002 Yamaha FZ1
2007 FJR1300

hooter

• Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 07:33:43 PM »

Thanks Lucky, I just ordered a pair and I hope they work. I can't get 15 to 20 miles before my fingers go to sleep. I was really thinking if I can make it thru summer then next fall I'd have surgery on both wrist's. It does take alot of joy outa riding, I truely hope these help. :cool2:
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

ViciousNoob

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 08:40:50 PM »

I sued Huster magazine for giving me the Carpal Tunnel Syndrome...

Lord, I apologize......
If I wasn't n00b, I sure would want to be!!! ;-)

RocknRoll

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Kingwood, TX
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 09:07:15 AM »

Yep - and has a statistically higher tendency in more senior women that are menopausal than in the general population.  But you are totally correct.  It is a repetitive injury.  Light factory workers, meat processing cutters, computer operators, men who read Hustler and Playboy - will often develop the problem.

Noob - I tried the lawsuit thing too.  All I got was a blow up doll!   Took the pressure off my wrist! :thumbup:
Wanna make God laugh?  -  Tell him your plans!

Wanna make God angry?  -  Treat Him with indifference!

larry_357

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 02:17:45 PM »

I was going to buy a pair if I went to Austin so guess now will have to mail order me a pair
Alvin,Texas

freedom08

• Tejano
  • Leander , Tx VTX 1300R
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 10:42:39 PM »

Drinking lots of water the day before a long run will help also. Staying hydrated is the key.
2007 VTX 1300 R Custom, (1984 Goldwing hardbags, 1980 Goldwing trunk) lots of other extras.

GerTXr

• Tejano
  • Montgomery, TX
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 11:53:58 AM »

I've been waiting for a post just like this. Thanks for bringing this up.  I will definitely look into the items you mentioned.  I've gotten to a point that within 10 mins. of riding my right hand gets numb and my wrist starts to hurt.  I could only stay out for about an hour this morning.  Was actually glad to get back home.  I have a throttle boss but will check out the gloves for sure.
Gerry
'06 1800S

hooter

• Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 07:07:36 PM »

I had ordered mine Thursday 6-11 and were in the mail box last night when I got home so they got here real fast. Haven't riden today so don't know how they work yet but will report back ASAP.
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

GerTXr

• Tejano
  • Montgomery, TX
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 04:10:20 PM »

Ordered mine Saturday, 6/13, got them today, Wednesday 6/17. With Sunday in the mix, that's great turnaround.
Won't get a chance to try them out until Friday.  Hope they work.
Gerry
'06 1800S

GerTXr

• Tejano
  • Montgomery, TX
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2009, 12:50:53 PM »

Wow...they work.  Went out today for about three hours, 110 miles.  Rode for about 1 1/2 hours then for just over an hour after lunch.  Right hand did not get numb and there was no pain in my wrist.  I'm very pleasently surprised.  :thumbup: :thumbup:
Gerry
'06 1800S

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2009, 03:08:14 PM »

Yep - and has a statistically higher tendency in more senior women that are menopausal than in the general population.  But you are totally correct.  It is a repetitive injury.  Light factory workers, meat processing cutters, computer operators, men who read Hustler and Playboy - will often develop the problem.

Noob - I tried the lawsuit thing too.  All I got was a blow up doll!   Took the pressure off my wrist! :thumbup:

Wack you are a hoot ;D
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal