Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Anti-Freeze  (Read 2829 times)

Tallboy

• Trailer Queen
Anti-Freeze
« on: June 04, 2009, 06:52:06 PM »

What brand/type of anti-freeze do you guys use? Plan to replace mine on my '02. The service manual says to prop the fuel tank up, but how long of a stick do I need. :popcorn: Thanks for any help.
Lord please let me be as good as my dog thinks I am.

Dusty

Re: Anti-Freeze
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 08:40:36 PM »

Save yourself the headache of trying to find a coolant that is compatible with your X and buy the premix from the Honda dealer. You may spend a couple of xtra dollars but you won't chance screwing up your water pump with the wrong additives.
For the tank prop, get a piece of 3/4 or 1 inch pvc about a foot long. Cut a V in one end. Take your seat off, remove the dash from the tank by removing the three screws below the tank fill. Yhe dash will hang off to the right side of the tank by the wires. Remove the tank bolt and raise the tank and cut the pvc pipe to a length that works to prop it up.

This site has lots of info for most anything you may want to do. http://www.bareasschoppers.com/
Leave a donation if you feel like it to help Bare keep it going. He's a super guy.

ViciousNoob

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 09:13:13 PM »

Save yourself the headache of trying to find a coolant that is compatible with your X and buy the premix from the Honda dealer. You may spend a couple of xtra dollars but you won't chance screwing up your water pump with the wrong additives.
For the tank prop, get a piece of 3/4 or 1 inch pvc about a foot long. Cut a V in one end. Take your seat off, remove the dash from the tank by removing the three screws below the tank fill. Yhe dash will hang off to the right side of the tank by the wires. Remove the tank bolt and raise the tank and cut the pvc pipe to a length that works to prop it up.

This site has lots of info for most anything you may want to do. http://www.bareasschoppers.com/
Leave a donation if you feel like it to help Bare keep it going. He's a super guy.

Dusty, I may be mistaken, but didn't the Good Lord take the Bareass chopper guy from us when he was on the way home from a Patriot Guard ride a few months ago? If he is and you didn't know, I'm sorry and hate to be the bearer of bad news. If I have him mixed up with another fellow rider, sorry for the confusion...

-Mike
If I wasn't n00b, I sure would want to be!!! ;-)

Dusty

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 09:28:37 PM »

Dusty, I may be mistaken, but didn't the Good Lord take the Bareass chopper guy from us when he was on the way home from a Patriot Guard ride a few months ago? If he is and you didn't know, I'm sorry and hate to be the bearer of bad news. If I have him mixed up with another fellow rider, sorry for the confusion...

-Mike

Bare posted on his sites forum as of this afternoon. If he passed, they forgot to tell him.  :stickpoke:  :c

http://forums.bareasschoppers.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=2
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 09:39:50 PM by Dusty »

hookem

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Port Neches, Texas
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 08:55:16 AM »

:rofl:

-Mike

Bare posted on his sites forum as of this afternoon. If he passed, they forgot to tell him.  :stickpoke:  :c

:rofl:

Good one, smart-arse!!!  I needed that this morning.

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.
Ronald Reagan

ViciousNoob

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 08:57:43 AM »

-Mike

my bad
If I wasn't n00b, I sure would want to be!!! ;-)

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 09:23:39 AM »

Yes there was a big write up on the VTXOA board about the mixup!! He did write what Dusty said on the board! He did also say how much he appreciated all the kind words everyone said!  ;D
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

Dusty

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 04:01:25 PM »

I remember that now. It was someone with the same name and he was from La. I had forgotten all about that. I hopw when I go that someone reminds me that I'm dead from time to time. As bad as my memory is I'm liable to forget I'm dead and carry on just like nothing happened. :bikerider:

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 04:14:44 PM »

I just changed out my radiator fluid with some called Engine Ice!! It was pretty high but says to do the cool job on the motor!!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 12:17:56 PM by VTXChad »
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

wwaggett

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Clear Lake, Texas Always busy doing nothing at all
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 05:30:02 PM »

I use Engine Ice. Supposed to keep the engine cooler than regular Honda coolant.

Crewsn

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • leander(austin), texas
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 07:54:53 PM »

just make sure that what ever antifreeze you use it is SILICATE FREE! if it is not it will cost a water pump, not cheap. I would say follow dusty's advice and get the pre-mix, no worries there. ride safe.
03 1800 C, airbox mod, K&N filter, roadhouse shorty.

POGOGOLF

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Jeff in GA - '02 1800 C
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2009, 05:23:23 AM »

just make sure that what ever antifreeze you use it is SILICATE FREE! if it is not it will cost a water pump, not cheap. I would say follow dusty's advice and get the pre-mix, no worries there. ride safe.
Ditto!!! I also HIGHLY recommend the notched prop for the tank...unless you have three arms. (Note to self, not 6 toes per foot  :ohwow:O0  :couch:
Ride Safe!! Jeff in GA <>< I believe in Easter
'02 1800 C model - 57,000 miles and climbing

Tallboy

• Trailer Queen
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2009, 08:25:47 PM »

Thanks Guys, I'll use the mix and a short piece of pvc. Here's to you :c
Lord please let me be as good as my dog thinks I am.

jmdaniel

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other toy, '77 FJ40...
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2009, 07:05:51 AM »

I remember that now. It was someone with the same name and he was from La. I had forgotten all about that. I hopw when I go that someone reminds me that I'm dead from time to time. As bad as my memory is I'm liable to forget I'm dead and carry on just like nothing happened. :bikerider:

You're doing quite well; for a dead man, that is...  :thumbup:
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
-- Unknown

2016 Honda F6B Deluxe
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2003 Honda VTX 1300

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2009, 07:45:52 AM »

When did Dusty die? I'm sorry to hear that. He was such a nice and likeable guy. I will miss seeing him around.

See Bill someone will say something nice about you when your gone.   :stickpoke: :c
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal