Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: '72 is the year I'd like...  (Read 5737 times)

j1mmyj4m

• The Shocker
  • Administrator
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Deer Park, Tx
'72 is the year I'd like...
« on: May 27, 2009, 02:57:27 PM »

Chunk the llama.

j1mmyj4m

• The Shocker
  • Administrator
  • Deer Park, Tx
Re: '72 is the year I'd like...
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 03:00:13 PM »

Chunk the llama.

HeadGuess

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Wills Point, Texas
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 03:24:42 PM »

I had an aunt that had a 72 and she didn't know it was a classic. We tried to tell her and she wouldn't believe us and traded it off for a mustang II

j1mmyj4m

• The Shocker
  • Administrator
  • Deer Park, Tx
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 03:29:33 PM »

Mustang II?!?!?!?  

That's just sacrilege. :-\ :P
Chunk the llama.

HeadGuess

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Wills Point, Texas
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 03:32:17 PM »

Mustang II?!?!?!?  

That's just sacrilege. :-\ :P

I agree.

jmdaniel

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other toy, '77 FJ40...
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 03:46:20 PM »

At one time, I was thinking about sinking some cash into a late 60s, early 70s muscle car. The Chevelles were nice, as were the 69 and 70 Roadrunner and Super Bees. But the more I looked at the prices go up, the less I was interested. In the end, you are paying some shyster for a whole lot of nostalgia, and not much comfort/convenience. $119K for that Chevelle? For that kind of cash, I'd buy a 2010 ZR1 Corvette, which would make that Chevelle look absolutely freakin' silly in any length race you wanted to name, have all all the comforts my geriatric Cranberries needs, and I'd have at least 10 large still rattlin' around in my pocket!

:thumbup:

« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 03:50:24 PM by jmdaniel »
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
-- Unknown

2016 Honda F6B Deluxe
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2003 Honda VTX 1300

MRVTX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Magnolia, TX
    • What I do...
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 04:05:59 PM »

Yup, '72 was a really good year!  ;D  So what are you getting now?  Moving on to cars??

Growing up, a friend's next-door neighbor had two 'Vettes.  The bad@ss one was a '69 Stingray convertible in LeMans blue, with a 454 and dual Holley carbs and air kit sticking out of the hood.  I remember the guy taking my friend and me to lunch one afternoon in it.  Of course, I was the smallest, so I was sitting on the hump in the middle.  This was back around '84, because that was the first year of the Monte Carlo SS.  So these two guys pull up next to us at the light in a brand new SS and start revving up the engine and inching forward.  My friend and I noticed them, but the guy driving the 'Vette never even looked over at them...never revved the engine...never moved.  Well, the light turned green and he punched it!  :ohwow: :ohwow:  As he took off, the car started to fishtail to the right (barely missing the curb) and then swung back to the left after he counter-steered.  By the time the car stopped spinning it's wheels, I looked back and saw a huge cloud of thick smoke and about 100-150ft of rubber down the road...and the SS was way back there.

That was a great day!  I told the guy that if he ever wanted to sell the car to let me have first dibs on it!!  ;D

I would love to get a muscle car from the '60s or '70s and build it from the ground up!  :thumbup:
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 04:07:40 PM by MRVTX »

j1mmyj4m

• The Shocker
  • Administrator
  • Deer Park, Tx
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 05:15:27 PM »

No way would I pay that kind of money for a Chevelle, but if I EVER get a large garage with some decent property later down the road then I will more than likely start from close to scratch and take my time or buy something somewhat decent.  While I agree you can get more technology for the money the newer you go, it doesn't always mean you get more car.  Each person has a weakness and mine is to buy every bike made along with the '72.  haha

I would never move on per say to cars, but I definitely want the Chevelle in my garage some day.
Chunk the llama.

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 06:06:05 PM »

I was always partial to the '67 Malibu, the '66 and  '67 'vettes, and the '64 1/2 GTO. When I came back from RVN I had a '66 396 Malibu for awhile.
02 1800C

VTreX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Rubythroatedhumming VT-reX Temple TX
    • http://www.patriotguard.org/photos/listpics.asp?a=show&ID=395
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 06:16:49 PM »

My brother just bought a new car. A 1930 model A Ford 5 window coupe  with an injected 350 chev engine and transmission, and TOOOOOO much other stuff! Custom frame metal flake red wine and a lot of chrome under the hood.
03-C U-green It is neither those in the round nor the square that reach the top, but those in the spiral.... Now have added a red ''07 Gold Wing with everything except an AIRBAG!!  SOLD THE WING  SAD DAY!!

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 06:56:18 PM »

Have a friend that had at one time a 1969 Gold Nova SS and 1970 Silver Nova SS. Both had 454 in them. He sold the 1969 for a very large chunk of change and kept the 1970. He races the 1970 Nova SS and at one time was number 2 in the nation in his class.   
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

jmdaniel

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 08:56:01 PM »

While I agree you can get more technology for the money the newer you go, it doesn't always mean you get more car.

I'm not sure you'd win that argument with anything but the most bargain basement car being sold today.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
-- Unknown

2016 Honda F6B Deluxe
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2003 Honda VTX 1300

j1mmyj4m

• The Shocker
  • Administrator
  • Deer Park, Tx
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 09:21:40 PM »

While I agree you can get more technology for the money the newer you go, it doesn't always mean you get more car.

I'm not sure you'd win that argument with anything but the most bargain basement car being sold today.

I guess I meant to clarify that I meant more towards the emotional side of a purchase.  I really like the raw nature of the classics.  For a daily driver I'll take a new dependable anyday, but for weeknights or weekend trips I think it would be a blast.
Chunk the llama.

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 09:41:21 PM »

...but I'll take a '70. :drool: :drool: :drool:

http://houston.craigslist.org/ctd/1182349909.html

I bought one of these for 3,750.00 NEW when I was 20 years old, worked at Texaco in Port Arthur making 4.75 hr had money to burn. Sun of a booger would nail you back in the seat like nothing you've ever felt. I was wiping everyone's butt on the main drag NEVER forget that car.  Had to sell it to split with first wife, never liked her again, except every now and then had to hit it.  ;D ;D
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

jmdaniel

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 10:17:14 PM »

I guess I meant to clarify that I meant more towards the emotional side of a purchase.  I really like the raw nature of the classics.  For a daily driver I'll take a new dependable anyday, but for weeknights or weekend trips I think it would be a blast.

And it's the emotional side that the shysters are targeting. Or more so, the nostalgic side. Boomers are getting older, have more disposable income, want to relive their high school days; it's a perfect $torm just waiting to be fulfilled. Why the new Camaro and Challenger, but to scratch that itch...

To each his own, but the classics aren't worth the price they are bringing these days for me.
-- Unknown

2016 Honda F6B Deluxe
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2003 Honda VTX 1300
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal