Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: XM RADIO  (Read 2788 times)

Dusty

XM RADIO
« on: May 25, 2009, 08:43:11 AM »

Turned on my Garmin this morning and was gonna go for a ride. A window pops up that says DEVISE IS NOT SUPPORTED. I have no XM signal. It was working fine last time a was on the bike.

I called XM AND GOT THE DUMBEST HUMAN ALIVE. She said everything was ok and that I should take my motorcycle to the dealer and have them check out the antenna.  :banghead: :cuss:

Any suggestions?

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
Re: XM RADIO
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 10:04:29 AM »

Check your antenna :stickpoke:.
02 1800C

Dusty

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 12:35:11 PM »

Check your antenna :stickpoke:.

It's still there.  ;)

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 02:34:23 PM »

Damn!!! You won that one ;D.
02 1800C

tyoung1986

• Tejano
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 08:23:58 AM »

:rofl:
06 1300c, 02 1800c

RocknRoll

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Kingwood, TX
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 10:28:05 AM »

On my last bike XM would get "lost."  It would require XM to send another signal.  You will need the radio code number - usually displayed on channel 1.

Sometimes when went under a lot of pine canopy the XM would lose signal.  Heading south on NorthPark would always cause it to lose signal and that is with pine on only one side of the road.  One of the techs said that pine needles somehow affected signal similar to the way it affects cell phones.  I thought it was bull corn, but it happened every time I headed home.  Same thing would happen in a valley or near a rock wall.  That isn't a problem in Lumberton but threw it in there anyway.  Also, forget getting signal in a garage or under an awning at a filling station.  It ain't happening.  The system will play for about a minute on the delay the kaput.

A friend has an airplane that has XM.  Every time we get to rockin out, his communication radio would go off shutting down the XM.  It takes a short bit to cycle through and return to XM.  I don't know if you installed the mike on your system.  Just an FYI.

The darn antenna wire was very flimsy as was the cheap rump connection.  If there is the slightest rub or pinch the wire would fail.  If there was a pull, the connection would need to be re-connected.  I don't remember how yours was hooked up.  I just know how mine was.  I don't have another antenna to give you and I don't recall what they cost at Best Buy.  I don't know how to "test" an antenna but I'm sure there is a way.

Hope you get it rigged soon!  I know all this worthless info will be of absolutely no assistance!
Wanna make God laugh?  -  Tell him your plans!

Wanna make God angry?  -  Treat Him with indifference!

Dusty

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 04:51:03 PM »

I hear ya Pete. I've experience the lost signal when stopping under carports, overpasses and such but this time I get a window saying that the device is not supported. I took that as meaning the xm wasn't, because I have zero signal and the GPS still works. There is no going to channel one. I called XM got pissed both times talking to some woman in Manilla. She told me to go to channel one also after I had told her 3 times that I had no signal. All I did was relocate it. Didn't unhook, rehook, fish hook, run a post pattern or even a corner. Just moved the thing about 5 inches from where it was. There is one wire and it goes to the Zumo. It gets the power from the zumo and sends the xm signal to the zumo. The antenna has either died or the connection at the zumo has gone bad. I'm guessing the connection. I have written Garmin, it should still be under warranty. I hope it is because the antenna is about $150-$200 that I don't want to spend right now, but I sure do like xm when I am riding.

25 days Pete! woo freaking hoo!!!!   :thumbup: :bikerider:

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 08:14:48 PM »

25 days till what? You be going somewhere and not telling the hoot and hobo? Here I thought we was brothers.   :c :c
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

Dusty

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 04:55:40 AM »

25 days till what? You be going somewhere and not telling the hoot and hobo? Here I thought we was brothers.   :c :c

You got it all wrong Hoot, it's 25 days until juneteenth.  :notworthy:  :angel: :c

XM is back online, Garmin suggested downloading an update. I did, and it worked. It also updates several other issues as well if anyone is having problems with the zumo 550. It's free!

http://www.garmin.com/products/webupdater/howtoinstall.jsp

jmdaniel

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other toy, '77 FJ40...
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 06:39:17 AM »

.... the cheap rump connection.  If there is the slightest rub or pinch....

:ohwow: ???

Bill,

Like I have said before, the best place to get answers on the Zumo isn't on a VTX board, it's

http://www.zumoforums.com/

:thumbup:
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 06:41:31 AM by jmdaniel »
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
-- Unknown

2016 Honda F6B Deluxe
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2003 Honda VTX 1300

Dusty

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 04:53:29 PM »

.... the cheap rump connection.  If there is the slightest rub or pinch....

:ohwow: ???

Bill,

Like I have said before, the best place to get answers on the Zumo isn't on a VTX board, it's

http://www.zumoforums.com/

:thumbup:

Yep, you said it, I have tried it and it hasn't happened yet. I even did a search on there and got nowhere, except to read of other people having problems that don't get answers either. They defend the products and won't admit to any problems. They have plenty of problems. The update that the Garmin tech suggested took 20 minutes and all is normal in the universe again.

jmdaniel

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other toy, '77 FJ40...
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 08:51:12 PM »

Yep, you said it, I have tried it and it hasn't happened yet. I even did a search on there and got nowhere, except to read of other people having problems that don't get answers either. They defend the products and won't admit to any problems. They have plenty of problems. The update that the Garmin tech suggested took 20 minutes and all is normal in the universe again.

So of course, you posted the solution to that forum, in order to help everyone else that was having the same problem?  :thumbup:
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
-- Unknown

2016 Honda F6B Deluxe
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2003 Honda VTX 1300

POGOGOLF

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Jeff in GA - '02 1800 C
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 08:59:15 PM »

So of course, you posted the solution to that forum, in order to help everyone else that was having the same problem?  :thumbup:
  O0  :c  :agree:
Ride Safe!! Jeff in GA <>< I believe in Easter
'02 1800 C model - 57,000 miles and climbing

Dusty

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 03:37:32 AM »

I did I did and if I was to go back and read everything that came with the Zumo, it probably told me in there somewhere to go to the upgrade site periodically. :thumbup:

Luckys Lover

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other addiction
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 06:14:55 AM »

EXCUSE ME!!! You fill in your registration card and give them your snail mail and e-mail addresses. Why the HELL can't they send you a notification that there's an update? I found out about an update for my boat Garmin from another boating person. When I went to the site, there was an update for my GPS, one for my computer program and a general update of the map. All of which got my GPS going again but I sure would have liked to have known about the updates BEFORE I bought a new GPS thinking my old one was broken.
If stupidity got us into this mess, why can stupidity get us out of it? Will Rogers
I don't care what other people think. They don't do it very often!
Of Course it's dirty. It's hard to clean when the tires keep moving.
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal