Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: rom thr Beaumont Enterprise:  (Read 981 times)

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
rom thr Beaumont Enterprise:
« on: May 23, 2009, 02:55:42 PM »

Saturday, May 23, 2009
Daybreaker: Verizon to lost man: $20 or your life

Got a cell phone? You probably do. Everyone does. And the most widely used national carrier is Verizon. With 86.6 million wireless customers and a whopping $6.4 billion in revenue, this mega-corporation ain't hurting for cash.

So when a 62-year-old Ohio man went missing, local officials figured the best way to locate him would be to triangulate his position using a nearby Verizon cell phone tower.

Easy, breezy, lemon squeezy...right?

Authorities thought it would be as easy as making a few well-placed phone calls. A Bayou lesson, if it seems simple, it probably ain't. Here is what actually went down:

"The agent in charge, Sheriff Williams said he attempted to use the man’s cell phone signal to locate him, but the man was behind on his phone bill and the Verizon operator refused to connect the signal unless the sheriff’s department agreed to pay the overdue bill. After some disagreement, Williams agreed to pay $20 on the phone bill in order to find the man."
$20 FREAKIN' dollars!!?!?! This Verizon operator was willing to let a man die for $20!

Here's the problem: these multi-gazillion dollar companies are, at the point of contact, staffed by a barely literate grade school dropout (or, if your even more unlucky, some guy in Sri Lanka named "Ted" posing as an American customer service rep). These company mouthpieces are given a regimented set of talking points and are told not to deviate from 'em. They have no wiggle-room. So when Officer Williams wants to broker a deal to help aid a rescue operation, operator dumba*s can't help -- they don't know how and do not have permission.

Thankfully, just as Sheriff Williams was about to pay the $20, the elderly gentleman was located. After his 11-hour ordeal, he was unresponsive and unconscious -- but alive. Another hour might have proved fatal.

So the next time you're placed on hold by "Archie" from Mumbai, think about the $20 that Verizon needed so desperately, they were willing to kill for it. 

Can you hear us now?

02 1800C

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
Re: rom thr Beaumont Enterprise:
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 05:18:31 PM »

I hear U  :-[
Shame on Verizon
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

nomercyambulance

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 08:53:05 PM »

That is just sick.
There needs to be some kind of emergency protocol set in place to
keep crap like this from happening.
Proud to be an American.
If you are not, LEAVE!!

Dusty

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 05:55:40 AM »

:popcorn:

MRVTX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Magnolia, TX
    • What I do...
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 08:07:57 AM »

Shame on Verizon

Actually, shame on American companies who farm-out "customer service" to other countires.  I don't care how much it costs a company to hire Americans...that tells me alot about where the company's priorities are...it's always about fattening up some corporate big-wig wallets.  It makes me sick!  >:(

TAZ

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Conroe TX.
    • The "TAZ" Machine
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 07:50:02 PM »

Glad I am with AT&T. :thumbup:  But I am sure it would have went the same way with them too. ( I would Hope Not)

It is pretty sad that human life is not worth more than $20.00 to some people.
Later,
"TAZ"
1300C

LEDS installed for $150.00 for members and $200.00 for non members. 14 pods, switch, fuse holder, 3amp fuse included for that price.
http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z147/LEDTAZ/

murray_61

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Hobe Sound, FL
    • facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 11:50:52 PM »

maybe the dude should pay his bills on time...

Why didn't they try to contact Verizon locally rather than the 800 number?

:pot:

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 07:58:11 AM »

Shame on Verizon

Actually, shame on American companies who farm-out "customer service" to other countires.  I don't care how much it costs a company to hire Americans...that tells me alot about where the company's priorities are...it's always about fattening up some corporate big-wig wallets.  It makes me sick!  >:(

Here lies the problem, how many American companies do not farm-out "customer service" today in corporate America the motto is take all you can while you can. (There are some small companies felt that take everyone in consideration, but not many)
We have all watched this go down, CEO comes in farms out everything, leaves with 50 Million golden parachute and the drone bees left to fight to keep their jobs.  :idontknow:
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal