Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wiring Crossed up??  (Read 1538 times)

Lone_Wolfe

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Seattle, WA
    • My Cycle Travels
Wiring Crossed up??
« on: May 09, 2009, 02:01:58 PM »

I've had a wiring problem crop up and not sure why it's happening? Maybe someone can help.
I had all taillights and signals working properly. Tested everything and was satisfied they were working as expected. Now with a blown fuse to the horn and signals, after replacing it all my signal lights and brake lights are full bright!? When I apply the brake, the brake lights dim. When I turn on the left or right signal, the front ones blink completely off and on, and the back ones dim from their constant full brightness.

I have the Kury bullet LED's front and back with a Run-Stop-Turn device. As well as a Low Load Signal Equalizer from Custom Dynamics in place of the OEM. Also have the side mount plate holder wired as tail-light and additional brake light.

Could I have possible not grounded something properly, or develop a short somewhere? Appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks!

RedDragon

• Master of Monumental Proportions
Re: Wiring Crossed up??
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 06:54:04 PM »

I've had a wiring problem crop up and not sure why it's happening? Maybe someone can help.
I had all taillights and signals working properly. Tested everything and was satisfied they were working as expected. Now with a blown fuse to the horn and signals, after replacing it all my signal lights and brake lights are full bright!? When I apply the brake, the brake lights dim. When I turn on the left or right signal, the front ones blink completely off and on, and the back ones dim from their constant full brightness.

I have the Kury bullet LED's front and back with a Run-Stop-Turn device. As well as a Low Load Signal Equalizer from Custom Dynamics in place of the OEM. Also have the side mount plate holder wired as tail-light and additional brake light.

Could I have possible not grounded something properly, or develop a short somewhere? Appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks!

I'd blame the dumb Cranberries that ran the wires through the handlebars for you!  :rofl:

Your Welcome!  :t

2005 VTX 1800C Red Tribal Flame
2005 Yamaha FZ1 Silver

Lone_Wolfe

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Seattle, WA
    • My Cycle Travels
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 02:02:07 AM »

:banghead: God love ya, David .... cause no one else does :no no:
:looney: nope :looney: unh huh :looney: not me :looney: no way Jose :looney: nooooo :looney: nah :looney: blah :looney: oh please :looney: never :looney: ugh :looney: pffffft :looney: NOT :looney: ewwww :looney: yuck :looney: You!? Hahahaha

HeadGuess

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Wills Point, Texas
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 07:07:19 AM »

I cant tell from the photo if it a 1300 or 1800. I have a wiring schematic of a 1300 I can send you if you need it.

Luckys Lover

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other addiction
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 08:33:19 AM »

I cant tell from the photo if it a 1300 or 1800. I have a wiring schematic of a 1300 I can send you if you need it.

Two quick ways to tell if you can see the front end. Inverted fork tubes and dual brake lines on the 1800.
If stupidity got us into this mess, why can stupidity get us out of it? Will Rogers
I don't care what other people think. They don't do it very often!
Of Course it's dirty. It's hard to clean when the tires keep moving.

HeadGuess

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Wills Point, Texas
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 09:15:31 AM »

Two quick ways to tell if you can see the front end. Inverted fork tubes and dual brake lines on the 1800.

Didn't look that close. Thanks.

HeadGuess

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Wills Point, Texas
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 09:29:47 AM »

And you passed the test! The rest of you need to get your $hit together! :pot: :ohwow: :ohwow: :ohwow:

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 04:09:55 PM »

Sounds like the wires are hooked up backwards. Like the ground is to hot and the hot is to ground! In the headlight bucket is where I would start first!! Only other place would be the right side cover! At least they work!!  :thumbup:
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

Lone_Wolfe

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Seattle, WA
    • My Cycle Travels
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 10:45:49 PM »

Well, the short is not in the handlebars, I guess that cranberry that ran the wiring did okay after all, David.  O0
The full bright is not what I thought as the running lights are normal and the turn signals/horn work after replacing the fuse. But the problem still lies with the brake lights dimming and blowing the fuse. And this happens when I use the right hand lever or the foot pedal to apply the brakes, so it must be under the seat. I think?

Got to buy more fuses before I can get any further in solving this!  :banghead:

POGOGOLF

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Jeff in GA - '02 1800 C
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 03:49:19 AM »

Well, the short is not in the handlebars, I guess that cranberry that ran the wiring did okay after all, David.  O0
The full bright is not what I thought as the running lights are normal and the turn signals/horn work after replacing the fuse. But the problem still lies with the brake lights dimming and blowing the fuse. And this happens when I use the right hand lever or the foot pedal to apply the brakes, so it must be under the seat. I think?

Got to buy more fuses before I can get any further in solving this!  :banghead:
I had a friend in GA who put on one of the load equalizer thingymabobs and if I recall correctly he had a fast blink  issue that he finally resolved by running everything through a relay...I have one on my scooter for my "running" lights.
Ride Safe!! Jeff in GA <>< I believe in Easter
'02 1800 C model - 57,000 miles and climbing

Lone_Wolfe

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Seattle, WA
    • My Cycle Travels
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 08:56:53 PM »

Thanks Jeff, I did replace the OEM flasher relay with a low load one from Custom Dynamics.

Well, I gotta thank Gabe for finding my short in the wiring, after he accidentally dropped the rear valve stem into the tire!  :thumbup:
My rear tire was leaking through the base of the valve stem and we were looking to see if we could fix it without having to take half the rear end back apart to get the 240 off. Oh well so much for that idea. But he did discover where the wiring to the side mount plate had gotten pinched on the swing arm and bared a single wire! Apply the brake, and poof goes the fuse.

Okay, So I've fixed the short and pick up my tire with a new valve stem in it from Wild West Honda tomr'o. I had the fender notched where it rubbed the fat fork tube, just needs paint touched up there. Hook up the new speedo and ride to get it inspected!

(keeping my fingers crossed for no more hiccups)  :banghead:

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 09:57:59 PM »

Good luck with the hiccups LoneWolf  ;D ;D
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

wwaggett

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Clear Lake, Texas Always busy doing nothing at all
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2009, 10:53:07 PM »

We want pictures. Please.

Lucky

• Board
  • Elvis
  • Canyon Lake, TX
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 06:09:46 AM »

Your bike situation sounds like our house situation...we make a step forward in the remodeling but in the process find something hidden that takes us two steps backwards.  Here's to the successful completion of our projects. :c
"Lucky" Connie
'06 Pearl Dark Blue 1300C
If you don't love what you're doing, then don't do it.
Your chances of success are directly proportional to the degree of pleasure you derive from what you do.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal