Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Accidental?  (Read 2116 times)

wwaggett

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Clear Lake, Texas Always busy doing nothing at all
Re: Accidental?
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2009, 02:26:16 PM »

God bless her soul (the victim). I'm learning a lesson here: Always look in the mirror when stopping at an intersection, especially when the light is still yellow.   :-\

Fortunately I have only had one incident where watching my backside was beneficial.  I was stopped to turn left into my apt parking lot with my turn signal on when a pick up came up behind me not paying attention.  Since I could tell he was not going to stop in time I gunned my bike and moved the required distance to avoid getting rear ended by him as he slammed on his brakes.  I have always watched my backside cause idiots are everywhere.

I was not so lucky when I got hit last year. I am more aware of my backside than ever now.

Isorg

• Administrator
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • 2007 1300c, 2002 Yamaha fz1
    • Izzy's Mind
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2009, 02:43:31 PM »

God bless her soul (the victim). I'm learning a lesson here: Always look in the mirror when stopping at an intersection, especially when the light is still yellow.   :-\

Fortunately I have only had one incident where watching my backside was beneficial.  I was stopped to turn left into my apt parking lot with my turn signal on when a pick up came up behind me not paying attention.  Since I could tell he was not going to stop in time I gunned my bike and moved the required distance to avoid getting rear ended by him as he slammed on his brakes.  I have always watched my backside cause idiots are everywhere.

That turn right there, is dangerous.... with people stopping to make a turn into the apartments and the neighborhood on each side..... it is a slight curve in the road, it is only 35mph, but people take that turn doing 50+ at times.

2007 1300c VTX
2002 Yamaha FZ1
2007 FJR1300

Niterider

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Houston, TX
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2009, 04:58:13 PM »

Just another tragic example of the harm people can do with an automobile.  It never ceases to amaze me how anyone can be so stupid and irresponsible as to drive a car while engaged in any kind of major distraction.  Placing someone's convenience above other's safety is a despicable sign of narcism that is displayed too often on the roads.
White '08 GL1800 with ABS, Nav, Premium Stereo, Comfort Package
Black '03 1800C;  retro bars, RIVCO risers, BBP lightbar, mustang seat, Paladin backrest/luggage rack, etc.
White '06 GL1800 with Nav, Premium Stereo, Comfort Package

wwaggett

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Clear Lake, Texas Always busy doing nothing at all
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2009, 10:38:21 PM »

Just another tragic example of the harm people can do with an automobile.  It never ceases to amaze me how anyone can be so stupid and irresponsible as to drive a car while engaged in any kind of major distraction.  Placing someone's convenience above other's safety is a despicable sign of narcism that is displayed too often on the roads.

What he said...  :agree:

TEXVTXER

• Old Timer
  • 2006 VTX1300 R in Black...the fastest color!
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2009, 06:47:35 PM »

Hang'em High!
TEXVTXER
Patriot Guard Rider

2006 VTX1300R: Cobra fatty highway bars and light bar, MF 21" WS, Kury ISO Grips w/Throttle Boss and Longhorn Hwy. pegs, Cobra sissy bar w/luggage rack, Ultimate X Big Boy w/Ultimate Pssgr. Seat, Leatherlyke Bags, Kury Ultra Tour Bag.

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2009, 07:41:01 PM »

Unfortunately, that's become the norm for today's drivers. On the road, as well as in all other aspects of life, we like to exercise our "rights" and pay our prostitutes (y'all call them lawyers) make these wrecks the victim's fault. This is America, we can't be held liable for our faults -- society is to blame. Yeah!!! Bush did it!!!
02 1800C

GerTXr

• Tejano
  • Montgomery, TX
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2009, 05:23:52 AM »

I always hate to read stories such as this one but, I force myself to read them anyway. As a result I always learn something or have an aspect of riding safely reiterated. In this case...watching your rear and allowing yourself enough room ahead to get out of the way.  Ride safe everyone.
Gerry
'06 1800S

POGOGOLF

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Jeff in GA - '02 1800 C
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2009, 05:53:53 AM »

Unbelievable. I had one VERY close encounter with my wife aboard, we were stopped at a red light (first in line, thank goodness) and a tractor trailer was coming up behind us faster than I cared to see (but, thank goodness #2) I was checking my rear view mirrors, so I saw him. I eased over to the right slightly closer to the car to my right and the tractor finally got himself stopped about 10 feet into the intersection (much further into it than where we previously were sitting). A very good reminder to keep it in gear while stopped for a light, you never know when you are going to have to get the heck outta the way! Oh yeah, and CHECK YOUR MIRRORS!!!! :bikerider:
Ride Safe!! Jeff in GA <>< I believe in Easter
'02 1800 C model - 57,000 miles and climbing

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2009, 10:11:53 AM »

A very good reminder to keep it in gear while stopped for a light, you never know when you are going to have to get the heck outta the way! Oh yeah, and CHECK YOUR MIRRORS!!!! :bikerider:

True words to LIVE by - I never have mine out of gear unless I am shutting down.  8)
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

BigNasdy

• Old Timer
    • American veteran Pool Table Sevice
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2009, 06:42:28 AM »

Always stay in gear and keep a look in the mirrors.....stay to the side of the lane soo you have a place to go if needed.....
Remember, your on a motorcycle, and so you are nothing but trash to the public, and you are expendable....
Its a sad fact

RicksVTX

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2009, 07:27:27 PM »

that always scares me as well. Turning into the road that leads to my house is always a nail biter for me. its on a hiway with 70 mph speed limits.. i wouldnt have a chance no matter how quick i am on the throttle. i always watch my mirrors and look back as far as i can.. lets face it 1 little 2in turn light and a brake light in bright sunlight just isnt enough to keep you safe.  But what do you do ???

Rick
Pages: 1 [2]

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal