Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Accidental?  (Read 2124 times)

murray_61

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Hobe Sound, FL
    • facebook
Accidental?
« on: May 06, 2009, 06:33:46 PM »

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=291185

Lake Zurich nail-painting crash that killed motorcyclist ruled accidental

The death of a Lake Zurich motorcyclist, killed when she was struck at a traffic light by a driver painting her fingernails, has been ruled an accident, authorities said Monday.

The autopsy found Anita Zaffke, 56, died of internal injuries to her chest and abdomen and a fractured spine after the crash Saturday afternoon, Lake County Coroner Richard Keller said.

Keller also said a toxicology test run on the driver, Lora L. Hunt, 48, of Morris, was negative. Police do not suspect alcohol or drugs were a factor in the crash, Lake County Sheriff Mark Curran said.

Curran said Hunt experienced "a momentary lapse" and was not paying attention.

"We can all learn from this in the sense that cars are dangerous instruments. We need to be careful, always," he said.

Zaffke, who was wearing a helmet, was riding her Honda Shadow motorcycle south on Rand Road when she stopped at a yellow traffic signal at Old McHenry Road near Lake Zurich. Hunt told police she was painting her fingernails as she drove her Chevy Impala toward the intersection and did not see Zaffke until after she hit her, authorities said.

Hunt's attorney Ragan Freitag told ABC 7 that she has not seen the police report and won't comment on whether Hunt was painting her nails while driving. "At this point she is really distressed. There are some things she remembers and some things she doesn't - she is distraught over this," Freitag told ABC 7.

Zaffke and her motorcycle were pushed forward a few hundred feet by the force of the impact, authorities said.

ABC 7 reported Monday family members said Zaffke was heading from her son's Waukegan apartment to her home. They had been talking about plans for Mother's Day.

"I was pretty much in disbelief at first," said Greg Zaffke, Anita Zaffke's son. "We went up to the intersection, just went up and down, to try to see how this could possibly have happened."

Lake County sheriff's office spokesman Sgt. Christopher Thompson said Hunt has been charged with failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident.

Curran said the accident would be reconstructed as part of the investigation. Findings will be turned over to the Lake County state's attorney's office for a determination of whether additional charges are warranted, possibly by the end of the week.

"That's going to be the state's attorney's office call," Curran said. "They'll look at everything including the rate of speed."

Curran said there were no skid marks at the accident scene, where the speed limit is 55 mph.

No additional details about the accident are expected to be available until the end of the week when the investigation is finished and the case is turned over to the Lake County state's attorney's office, Thompson added.

Greg Zaffke now wears black nail polish to bring attention to the need for stricter penalties for people who hurt motorcyclists like his mom, according to ABC 7.

"I'm sure there are motorcycle groups who would like to hear about this story and potentially help us get the story out," he said.

Sheriff
Mark C. Curran, Jr.
25 S. Martin Luther
King Jr. Avenue
Waukegan, IL 60085
Ph 847.377.4000
Fx 847.360.5796
sheriff@lakecountyil.gov

State’s Attorney
Michael J. Waller
18 N. County Street
Waukegan, IL 60085
Ph 847.377.3000
statesattorney@lakecountyil.gov

big oz

• Old Timer
  • Alvarado, Texas
Re: Accidental?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 06:42:57 PM »

I guess in Illinois, a car is not considered a weapon like it is in Texas. Need to send emails to the sheriff and DA and let them know that just an accident wont get it....thats at least manslauter.

2006 VTX 1800n, MS fats 21" solar shield, Leatherlyke Cross Country Bags, custom hitch, Darkside 205/60/16 Goodyear Eagle GT

SouthernXer

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BRAD Allen, Texas
    • Me playing music
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 06:45:01 PM »

I guess in Illinois, a car is not considered a weapon like it is in Texas. Need to send emails to the sheriff and DA and let them know that just an accident wont get it....thats at least manslauter.

+1...

They should throw the book at that dumb b|tch.   :cuss:

nomercyambulance

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 06:43:18 AM »

+1...

They should throw the book at that dumb b|tch.   :cuss:

True! But the book needs to be taped to the front of a Kenworth.
Proud to be an American.
If you are not, LEAVE!!

Demon

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 06:49:31 AM »

if she was in fact painting her nails, I hope that woman spends the rest of her life with out sleep...  >:(

Crewsn

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • leander(austin), texas
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 07:00:10 AM »

painting her nails or not, what the hell was this Buck Rogers doing so as not to even hit the brakes! manslaughter and mandatory loss of driving priviledges for an indefinte amount of time. stupid Buck Rogers!
03 1800 C, airbox mod, K&N filter, roadhouse shorty.

LoneCobra

• Tejano
  • Houston, TX
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 07:06:47 AM »

God bless her soul (the victim). I'm learning a lesson here: Always look in the mirror when stopping at an intersection, especially when the light is still yellow.   :-\

ruger9mm

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 07:34:55 AM »

A woman driving her car and painting her finger nails hits and kills a motorcyclist.  In Texas that would be criminally negligent homicide at minimum.  When will our government begin forcing people to be more responsible for their actions.  This I hope will spark her family into action.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 08:28:54 AM by ruger9mm »
William
06 1300 Retro

nomercyambulance

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 07:45:27 AM »

A very close friend was nealy killed in a simular wreck.
The only difference was there was no nail painting. Just a butt load of STUPIDITY.
Proud to be an American.
If you are not, LEAVE!!

Lucky

• Board
  • Elvis
  • Canyon Lake, TX
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 08:20:59 AM »

God bless her soul (the victim). I'm learning a lesson here: Always look in the mirror when stopping at an intersection, especially when the light is still yellow.   :-\

Fortunately I have only had one incident where watching my backside was beneficial.  I was stopped to turn left into my apt parking lot with my turn signal on when a pick up came up behind me not paying attention.  Since I could tell he was not going to stop in time I gunned my bike and moved the required distance to avoid getting rear ended by him as he slammed on his brakes.  I have always watched my backside cause idiots are everywhere.
"Lucky" Connie
'06 Pearl Dark Blue 1300C
If you don't love what you're doing, then don't do it.
Your chances of success are directly proportional to the degree of pleasure you derive from what you do.

ruger9mm

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 08:30:56 AM »

Fortunately I have only had one incident where watching my backside was beneficial.  I was stopped to turn left into my apt parking lot with my turn signal on when a pick up came up behind me not paying attention.  Since I could tell he was not going to stop in time I gunned my bike and moved the required distance to avoid getting rear ended by him as he slammed on his brakes.  I have always watched my backside cause idiots are everywhere.

:agree:
William
06 1300 Retro

sherri

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • The Woodlands
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 08:43:12 AM »

Also leave a few extra feet infront of you when possible so if you see they might stop in time you have room to move ahead safely.

If you ever see me with horns sticking out of my helmet
call an ambulance  .  .  .  .    I’ve hit a deer

larry_357

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 09:20:57 AM »

The woman needs to have a neck tie party as in with a rope but drag her Cranberries awhile first then hang the B.......It also sounds like the bikers needd to force the state to change the laws.
Alvin,Texas

RocknRoll

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Kingwood, TX
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 12:52:44 PM »

The woman needs to have a neck tie party as in with a rope but drag her Cranberries awhile first then hang the B.......It also sounds like the bikers needd to force the state to change the laws.

Never happen!!  Obama state!
Wanna make God laugh?  -  Tell him your plans!

Wanna make God angry?  -  Treat Him with indifference!

beaux43

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • "Punxher"
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2009, 01:59:54 PM »

:agree:   :cuss:
'03 1800R
'08 GL1800 GoldWing

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally wornout, shouting..."What a Ride!"
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal