Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: upgrading to Dakota Digital speedometer, but ...  (Read 3427 times)

kded4009

• Tejano
upgrading to Dakota Digital speedometer, but ...
« on: April 20, 2009, 08:29:57 PM »

2003 1800 c, upgraded the bars to barron's extremes, and now doing the speedometer to dakota digital HLY-5011.  However, like any modifications no direct compatability or replacement.  So I have seen others with this combination upon their bikes, so how did yall do it?

questions;
 1) there is a brown color wire on the stock speedo.
      - it is not on the VTX manual wiring diagram, but there it is on the bike!!  what is it for?  GROUND?  Hard to test it for ground when you just dont know what button or sensor will trigger it if it isnt ground.  Thus I'm asking.
  2) is there a different connectivity than what I'm listing here to get this speedo to work?

double click on the thumb pic will expand it.

will this connectivity work?
thanks
kded4009
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 09:00:14 PM by kded4009 »

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
Re: upgrading to Dakota Digital speedometer, but ...
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 05:29:08 AM »

The only brown wire I found in my 02C wiring schematic was from the fuel pump to the fuel pump relay. As with your manual, that brown one from the speedometer does not exist in mine. I doubt it's a ground, as Honda uses green to designate grounds. The only suggestion I can make at this point is to trace it out and see where it goes. Did you buy your bike new? Could it be ad add-on by a previous owner? I don't know if you've explored this avenue, but there used to be a lot of writeups on Dakota Digital intallations in the VTXOA when I frequented that forum. You might try a search there.
02 1800C

cybrhick

• Master Tejano Rider
  • The outcast
    • Hick Custom Machine Works
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 08:18:08 AM »

If I'm not mistaken, brown is a positive constant. It is used for the plate light on you license plate. My guess would be that brown wire is for dash backlighting.
Displaced Texan.

POGOGOLF

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Jeff in GA - '02 1800 C
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 08:29:47 AM »

The only brown wire I found in my 02C wiring schematic was from the fuel pump to the fuel pump relay. As with your manual, that brown one from the speedometer does not exist in mine. I doubt it's a ground, as Honda uses green to designate grounds. The only suggestion I can make at this point is to trace it out and see where it goes. Did you buy your bike new? Could it be ad add-on by a previous owner? I don't know if you've explored this avenue, but there used to be a lot of writeups on Dakota Digital intallations in the VTXOA when I frequented that forum. You might try a search there.
There are 2 Black/Brown wires, 1 goes to the 2nd post of the speedo light and the other is to one of the 5 posts to the speedo proper.
Ride Safe!! Jeff in GA <>< I believe in Easter
'02 1800 C model - 57,000 miles and climbing

kded4009

• Tejano
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 08:54:37 PM »

well it is done, believe it or not, but the unknown 6th wire was the keyed-power for the speedo.  double click on the thumb pic to expand, and then double click again for more expansion...

thanks,
Kded4009
 :congrats:

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 09:36:21 PM »

Don't know if I will ever need it but thanks for the Diagram I have it bookmarked if anyone ever needs it.  :thumbup:
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

Lone_Wolfe

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Seattle, WA
    • My Cycle Travels
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 12:14:44 PM »

well it is done, believe it or not, but the unknown 6th wire was the keyed-power for the speedo.  double click on the thumb pic to expand, and then double click again for more expansion...

So according to your diagram, you did not connect the power or ground cables of the speed sensor. But relied instead on the power and ground cables of the 4 pin harness coming from the Dakota?

Have you tested this?

Lone_Wolfe

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Seattle, WA
    • My Cycle Travels
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 12:24:17 PM »

Okay, reading again, DD says the red and black wires of the 3 pin are outputs, not inputs.

But what did you do with the White/Red (Fused Constant +12 battery power) wire of the 4 pin connector? Does this go directly to the battery? Did you have to add a fuse in the line? 

kded4009

• Tejano
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 04:14:55 PM »

what 4 pin connector?  I dont see a 4 pin connector nor a re/white cable id with the 2003 VTX 1800 c model to the speedometer.  Not sure what you mean.

BTW, this connectivity in my diagram is what is connected and works fine.
thanks,
Kded4009
send me a PM of your phone number, if you think I can assist.  Always ready to lend a hand.  :thumbup: 

Lone_Wolfe

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Seattle, WA
    • My Cycle Travels
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 08:19:44 PM »

Whoops, sorry I have a different series. I'm gonna have to look at it again. I haven't seen it in a couple months.

Swampfox

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 08:29:46 PM »

Whoops, sorry I have a different series. I'm gonna have to look at it again. I haven't seen it in a couple months.
my speepo meter is making a noise should I care?

Lone_Wolfe

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Seattle, WA
    • My Cycle Travels
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2009, 04:17:11 PM »

If it's ticking like a time bomb, you might want to care!

Being an electric sensor I don't know what noise it could be making unless it's rattling in it's housing? You can fix that easy.

TAZ

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Conroe TX.
    • The "TAZ" Machine
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 08:43:22 PM »

All 1300s get that at some point.  There is a way to go in and put felt on all the screws.  Talk to Jason he did it to his.
Later,
"TAZ"
1300C

LEDS installed for $150.00 for members and $200.00 for non members. 14 pods, switch, fuse holder, 3amp fuse included for that price.
http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z147/LEDTAZ/

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 09:04:37 PM »

I cut some rubber washers and haven't heard anything, since, it could also be contributed to wearing ear buds  ;D ;D
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal