Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Spark Plug Help.....  (Read 1651 times)

TAZ

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Conroe TX.
    • The "TAZ" Machine
Spark Plug Help.....
« on: April 09, 2009, 09:50:08 PM »

Ok after the Vegas trip I pulled my plugs to see if I was rich or lean on my carb settings. I found something that really puzzles me as you can see from the pic below.  Keep in mind that we sanded them to look brand new on the way up there just east of Austin.

The left 2 plugs came out of the front and the Right 2 came out of the back.  The back 2 look pretty much like they should.  But the front 2 are all f'ed up.  :ohwow: 
 Anyone have any input on this????

Thanks for your help! :thumbup:
Later,
"TAZ"
1300C

LEDS installed for $150.00 for members and $200.00 for non members. 14 pods, switch, fuse holder, 3amp fuse included for that price.
http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z147/LEDTAZ/

RedDragon

• Master of Monumental Proportions
Re: Spark Plug Help.....
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 04:00:01 AM »

I would say you found out where your all your oil went to.  :ohwow: You know you have been pretty rough on the old girl!  :stickpoke:

2005 VTX 1800C Red Tribal Flame
2005 Yamaha FZ1 Silver

Dusty

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 05:15:27 AM »

On my 1800, I have always found it to be the left front and right rear plugs that would carbon up if any of them did. Especially the right rear.
When it was new, I was told that it was because I wasn't keeping the rpms up high enough to burn the gas sufficiently. Then I was told that those two plugs were deeper into the block so they weren't cooled by the coolant as well. None of this makes logical sense to me.

Personally I think it has to do with the air gas ratio and one plug fireing slightly before the second. The second is trying to ignite already burnt gases. This stuff won't ignite and it collects on them to the point they don't burn at all.

My right rear does, did it the worst. I recently had the problem, found a vacuum leak, fixed it and had the bike dynoed. I only have about 1000 miles since the dyno. I'll pull the plugs and see what they look like.

Something else is burning regular unleaded. I do and I know that's what's recomended but every once in a while I I give the ole girl a tank of the good stuff just to help clean the injectors. A shot of Seafoam every once in a while will do the same. I also think that the humidity has a lot to do with how well the gas burns. It's usually above 60% around here and when the humidity drops down to a lower percentage, my bike seems to run better. That's why I prefer to dyno my bike down here rather than travel to a dryer climate to have it done.

With both of yours being from the same cylinder I would lean towards a coil possibly going bad and not giving enough juice, or a vacuum leak.

I'm sure by now, after reading all this, that you can tell I don't know what the h#ll I'm talking about but maybe it will get the master mechanics to chime in.  :popcorn: :couch: :c

Happy Easter!

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 07:23:46 AM »

With both of yours being from the same cylinder I would lean towards a coil possibly going bad and not giving enough juice, or a vacuum leak.

I would lean towards this to!! I also put some High stuff in the tank about every 5 fill ups!!  :popcorn:
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 09:20:54 AM »

Have you done a compression check? Leakdown test?
02 1800C

RedDragon

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 09:57:32 AM »

That is what I would check first! Rings or valves!  :ohwow:

2005 Yamaha FZ1 Silver

TAZ

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Conroe TX.
    • The "TAZ" Machine
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 12:09:59 PM »

No. I don't have the tools to do one.
Later,
"TAZ"
1300C

LEDS installed for $150.00 for members and $200.00 for non members. 14 pods, switch, fuse holder, 3amp fuse included for that price.

TAZ

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Conroe TX.
    • The "TAZ" Machine
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 12:19:33 PM »

This guy may be on to something.  If I hit a little rain it shuts me down.

It appears that if you are having problems with the ignition (spark plug firing) for the front cylinder, you may want to pull your gas tank and look at your front ignition coil.

The front coil hangs off of the left side of the frame backbone, under the gas tank. Water from washing or wet weather riding causes rust to form where the coil is supposed to be grounded to the mount bracket. When rust builds up, the front coil doesn't receive a reliable ground circuit. When the ground circuit is weak, proper voltage can't build up in the coil windings - causing mis-firing, weak spark, wasted fuel, reduced power and a cool exhaust is the most noticeable symptom.

Pull your coil, remove the rust from the coil end tabs, the frame mounting bracket and the two (2) U-shaped grounding clips (1 at each end of the coil body). Sandpaper and a file will work, or a small brass or steel wire brush will also help remove the rust. Coat everything well with dielectric grease and reassemble. You may not notice extreme improvement, but you may notice an increase in performance and in wet weather ride ability you may no longer experience missing or cutting out. (This was so bad on my bike if I was in a heavy fog - my bike would shut completely off !!!)

The rear coil doesn't experience the problem to the same degree, because of its "buried" location in front of the battery box area.

Let us know what you find.
Later,
"TAZ"
1300C

RedDragon

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 02:00:11 PM »

This guy may be on to something.  If I hit a little rain it shuts me down.

It appears that if you are having problems with the ignition (spark plug firing) for the front cylinder, you may want to pull your gas tank and look at your front ignition coil.

The front coil hangs off of the left side of the frame backbone, under the gas tank. Water from washing or wet weather riding causes rust to form where the coil is supposed to be grounded to the mount bracket. When rust builds up, the front coil doesn't receive a reliable ground circuit. When the ground circuit is weak, proper voltage can't build up in the coil windings - causing mis-firing, weak spark, wasted fuel, reduced power and a cool exhaust is the most noticeable symptom.

Pull your coil, remove the rust from the coil end tabs, the frame mounting bracket and the two (2) U-shaped grounding clips (1 at each end of the coil body). Sandpaper and a file will work, or a small brass or steel wire brush will also help remove the rust. Coat everything well with dielectric grease and reassemble. You may not notice extreme improvement, but you may notice an increase in performance and in wet weather ride ability you may no longer experience missing or cutting out. (This was so bad on my bike if I was in a heavy fog - my bike would shut completely off !!!)

The rear coil doesn't experience the problem to the same degree, because of its "buried" location in front of the battery box area.

Let us know what you find.

I hope that is it, but I would think it would be running noticeably bad. And also that situation would not cause you to burn oil. Keep us posted! :popcorn:

2005 Yamaha FZ1 Silver

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 02:47:41 PM »

I don't know if I have the right adaptor for your size plugs, but if I do you're welcome to bring it here for a compression check.
02 1800C

TAZ

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Conroe TX.
    • The "TAZ" Machine
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 10:31:49 PM »

Thanks Jim!  Just might take you up on that. :thumbup: :c
Later,
"TAZ"
1300C

Demon

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009, 07:16:59 AM »

so what is worst leak oil or burn oil?    :couch:

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2009, 08:51:59 AM »

Burn.
02 1800C

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2009, 08:53:31 AM »

Rex, I don't have an adaptor for your bike. The plugs are 12mm and my adaptor's 14mm.
02 1800C

TAZ

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Conroe TX.
    • The "TAZ" Machine
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2009, 12:29:35 PM »

Rex, I don't have an adaptor for your bike. The plugs are 12mm and my adaptor's 14mm.

OK Thanks Jim! :thumbup:
Later,
"TAZ"
1300C

Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal