Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: charging system questions  (Read 843 times)

Demon

charging system questions
« on: April 03, 2009, 10:23:15 AM »

My friend has a 2000 V-star Classic.  the bike will not charge the battery, he is now on his 3rd battery.  I told him that it sounds like he needs a Stator, what do you guys think?  I know is a bage question but what esle could be wrong with the bike?  all the fuses are ok, and the bike does turn on when we have the battery charger attache to it, the odometer does not come on and when it is running with a voultage meter it shows less than 6 volts.

T-BIRD

• Old Timer
Re: charging system questions
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 10:43:18 AM »

Alternator or Regulator
>Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
<a href="http://bighugelabs.com/map.php" style="font-size: 75%">Make yours @ BigHugeLab

Demon

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 11:59:42 AM »

Alternator or Regulator

I was under the impresion that the stator was the "alternator" for the motorcycles???

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 02:43:49 PM »

Gabe, you are correct, at least as far as Honda. I'm not sure about Yammy's system, but it's probably similar. The service manual for his bike should detail the test protocols; if he doesn't have one he can probably find the answer on one of the Yammy forums.
02 1800C

Luckys Lover

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other addiction
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 02:51:54 PM »

Stator.  Bike should kick about 14-15 volts with a good stator.

Regulator could be out and the service manual should show you the correct test readings for the prongs. Kawasaki's manual shows the readings across EVERY prong so you can trouble shoot it. But it's usually the stator that dies first.
If stupidity got us into this mess, why can stupidity get us out of it? Will Rogers
I don't care what other people think. They don't do it very often!
Of Course it's dirty. It's hard to clean when the tires keep moving.

Demon

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 03:21:32 PM »

thanks, I will look into that, I found one on ebay for $10.00 I hope the price does not go up too much

Lucky

• Board
  • Elvis
  • Canyon Lake, TX
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 03:26:43 PM »

Gabe I know when I had to change the stator in my Kawasaki the price new was around $175.00.  I would assume Honda's would be about the same.  A $10 stator on ebay would make me nervous.
"Lucky" Connie
'06 Pearl Dark Blue 1300C
If you don't love what you're doing, then don't do it.
Your chances of success are directly proportional to the degree of pleasure you derive from what you do.

Demon

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 06:46:03 PM »

Gabe I know when I had to change the stator in my Kawasaki the price new was around $175.00.  I would assume Honda's would be about the same.  A $10 stator on ebay would make me nervous.

is a used part the bike was wrecked and the engine according to the guy selling it ran fine before they took it apart, he has 100% positive feadback so I think it will be ok.  if not is only $10 plus shipping, i hope no one else bids on it.   :thumbup:

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal