Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: looking for nnw houston area mechanic  (Read 3277 times)

tyoung1986

• Tejano
looking for nnw houston area mechanic
« on: March 17, 2009, 11:09:22 PM »

i lost my two mechanics.dam. earls cycles, very 'knoligable' guy but went out of biz. mafia customs, very nice guy, changed careers, 'momentarilly' of course but gone. so any suggestioins for ME?   
06 1300c, 02 1800c

twistedrcpilot

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Montgomery Tx. /Lake Conroe TX
Re: looking for nnw houston area mechanic
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 08:14:39 PM »

ya might try Misfit custom cycles. I believe chris is the name. he is on 1488 close to magnolia.

*Closet Darksider*

MRVTX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Magnolia, TX
    • What I do...
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 02:13:54 PM »

Yes, Chris Eder is the owner of Misfit.  He's a great guy and very easy to deal with.  They have two really good mechanics...one metric...one HD.  We just got back from getting a tire mounted on my wife's Ultra.

Here's the website:  http://misfitmotorcycles.com/
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 07:44:34 AM by MRVTX »

tyoung1986

• Tejano
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 11:30:02 PM »

thanks. but royal purple ??? i just bot an o2 1800c and have hurd a liitle rant and raven about this product ???
06 1300c, 02 1800c

MRVTX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Magnolia, TX
    • What I do...
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 07:47:20 AM »

Sorry, I thought you were looking for a mechanic, not oil!  I use Amsoil and love the stuff.  Oil changes are a snap, so you can do those yourself and save the big stuff for a shop (unless you want to learn how to do the big stuff yourself, too, and save even more money).  :thumbup:

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 08:22:02 AM »

Don't know what you've heard about royal purple, but a bunch of folks use it without any problems  ;)
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

tyoung1986

• Tejano
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 10:28:29 PM »

Ya but tried to change my brake fluid once and never got my back brake working properly. So my old man told me he's a postal worker not a michanic! And i dont know how u get to your oil filter but its never been e-z either. suggestions always appreceated!
06 1300c, 02 1800c

MRVTX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Magnolia, TX
    • What I do...
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 10:57:26 PM »

Ya but tried to change my brake fluid once and never got my back brake working properly. So my old man told me he's a postal worker not a michanic! And i dont know how u get to your oil filter but its never been e-z either. suggestions always appreceated!

I just recently had to perform a bunch of maintenance items on my bike, and I switched out the stock brake bleeder screws for Speed Bleeders.  Man, what a difference in time to bleed the brakes.  I had done it the old-fashioned way twice before and it sucked big time, but the Speed Bleeders are freakin' awesome.  I had both ends done in less than 20 minutes...seriously.

As for the oil filter, it is very easy to get to.  With the bike on the sidestand, lay down on the right side of the bike with your head toward the rear and look underneath just in front of the coolant reservoir tank.  I have just enough room to get a 3/8" ratchet and the oil filter wrench on the filter to take it off and put a new one on.  Oil changes on the VTX are very simple and straightforward.

By the way, I never worked on anything that had a motor in it before I got the X.  But with the help of many people in our group (and the VTXOA board), I've learned to do everything that I need to do to maintain the bike.  There are many of us who will show you how to do the maintenance items yourself, which saves you a ton of money and lets you know it was done correctly.  :thumbup:

tyoung1986

• Tejano
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 09:15:02 PM »

speed bleeders? ware how much? thanks
06 1300c, 02 1800c

MRVTX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Magnolia, TX
    • What I do...
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 09:58:24 PM »

speed bleeders? ware how much? thanks

You can purchase them here:  http://directlineparts.com/byBrand.asp?brd=Speed+Bleeders&str=12, and here's their website with more info:  http://www.speedbleeder.com/

tyoung1986

• Tejano
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 10:41:24 PM »

do i need the bag and hose kit?
06 1300c, 02 1800c

MRVTX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Magnolia, TX
    • What I do...
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 06:32:27 AM »

Not necessarily, but it makes the job much easier and less messier, in my opinion.  All it is used for is to catch the used brake fluid as it is being pumped out of the system.  I've reused mine over and over again.  For $6, you can't beat it.  Otherwise, you'd wind up using one of the Mrs. good kitchen bowls to catch the spent fluid, and then momma's not happy!  And when momma's not happy, no one is happy!  :o

Xwrecker

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 01:07:34 AM »

Get a coffee can( or any other container) and a rubber hose that fits the bleeder to catch the fluid.

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 06:55:39 AM »

I think I prefer my Mite-e-Vac.
My now long gone VTX...

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 01:37:55 PM »

02 1800C
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal