Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pipes and Programmer Install  (Read 1270 times)

Foreman4by

• Rider
  • Katy, TX
Pipes and Programmer Install
« on: March 09, 2009, 11:21:58 AM »

I wanted to post this a bit early, as I haven't recieved the pipes and the programmer yet, but probably within a week or so I should I have my Cobra Speedsters and my Fi2000R at the house. Since I'm new to working on bikes but am mechanically inclined a bit, I figured I'd better ask for some help. I'm paranoid enough with my new toy, I'd just really appreciate some "know how" from somebody who's done it before. I'd be glad to unload some cold beer and maybe a steak if it's worth your time. I'm out in Katy on the west side of Houston.
2007 VTX 1800F Spec1
Hurricane Air Kit, PCIII, Cobras w/Thunder Monsters, L&R Extremes Forwards, Kury ISOs, X-Bars

Demon

Re: Pipes and Programmer Install
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 11:53:33 AM »

the pipes are easy to do... count me in to drink your beer!!!  :D

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 01:17:51 PM »

It's easy, I Believe in you.   

I'll have a beer, please :c
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

Foreman4by

• Rider
  • Katy, TX
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 05:00:02 PM »

Well damn, is that a yes on the wrench turning and the beer or just drinking my beer, lol!  :laugh:
2007 VTX 1800F Spec1
Hurricane Air Kit, PCIII, Cobras w/Thunder Monsters, L&R Extremes Forwards, Kury ISOs, X-Bars

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 05:17:03 PM »

Gabe, drink a Bud for me if you go.
02 1800C

Xmark

• Old Timer
  • San Marcos, TX
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 05:38:28 PM »

I've got Cobra pipes and the FI2000R on my F model. Can't come to your house but if you have any trouble, shoot me a PM and I'll try to help ya out. Both are relatively easy to install if you follow the directions. The #1 (low rpm pot) on the FI2000 is the one you'll want to adjust to eliminate the decel popping your going to experience with those pipes. I would adjust it per the instructions that come with it and then tweak it... you want it rich enough (clockwise on the pot) to reduce/eliminate the decel popping but not so rich that your gas mileage goes to crap and your plugs foul up. I haven't look at my settings in a while so I can't remember what mine is set at, but I can look if you want me to. There are three pots... #1=low rpm, #2=midrange, #3=full throttle. The pots are sensitive to adjustment so make only small incremental adjustments (1/16 turn). It may take several attempts to get it dialed in so just be patient. Tweak, run the bike. Tweak, run the bike. Tweak, run the bike, etc.
Every bike is different depending on what kind of mods you've done so... what settings work on my bike might not work well on yours.
NOTE: unless your planning on putting your bike on a dyno, I'd leave the #2 and #3 pots at ZERO. The only exception would be if the bike hesitates when you jump on the throttle. In that case, bumping up the #2 pot should correct the hesitation problem. Remember, the FI2000 will only ENRICH the fuel/air ratio. It can not LEAN the fuel/air ratio.
I got a little long winded here. Hope I didn't confuse you more then I helped. :-\
"Life is like a jar of Jalapeno peppers.
What you do today, might Burn Your butt Tomorrow"

Demon

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 07:06:51 PM »

Gabe, drink a Bud for me if you go.

will do!!!   

Demon

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 07:09:42 PM »

I've got Cobra pipes and the FI2000R on my F model. Can't come to your house but if you have any trouble, shoot me a PM and I'll try to help ya out. Both are relatively easy to install if you follow the directions. The #1 (low rpm pot) on the FI2000 is the one you'll want to adjust to eliminate the decel popping your going to experience with those pipes. I would adjust it per the instructions that come with it and then tweak it... you want it rich enough (clockwise on the pot) to reduce/eliminate the decel popping but not so rich that your gas mileage goes to crap and your plugs foul up. I haven't look at my settings in a while so I can't remember what mine is set at, but I can look if you want me to. There are three pots... #1=low rpm, #2=midrange, #3=full throttle. The pots are sensitive to adjustment so make only small incremental adjustments (1/16 turn). It may take several attempts to get it dialed in so just be patient. Tweak, run the bike. Tweak, run the bike. Tweak, run the bike, etc.
Every bike is different depending on what kind of mods you've done so... what settings work on my bike might not work well on yours.
NOTE: unless your planning on putting your bike on a dyno, I'd leave the #2 and #3 pots at ZERO. The only exception would be if the bike hesitates when you jump on the throttle. In that case, bumping up the #2 pot should correct the hesitation problem. Remember, the FI2000 will only ENRICH the fuel/air ratio. It can not LEAN the fuel/air ratio.
I got a little long winded here. Hope I didn't confuse you more then I helped. :-\

Just wondering why not just get a power commander and have it tune?

Xmark

• Old Timer
  • San Marcos, TX
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 07:57:11 PM »

Just wondering why not just get a power commander and have it tune?

I've seen too many posts (on another board) about people having "issues" with the power commander. The FI2000 works on a simple principle and does what I want it to do... compensate for a lean running condition after exhaust and intake mods. Plus it doesn't require a computer program and/or Dyno to set up.
I've been running it for the last 15,000 miles and the bike runs like a raped ape, no decel popping, the plugs are clean, my fuel mileage is respectable and it's reliable.
Opinions vary. ;)
"Life is like a jar of Jalapeno peppers.
What you do today, might Burn Your butt Tomorrow"

Scotrod

• Tejano
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 10:36:51 AM »

I've got a PCIII,,, Nothing 'wrong' with a Cobra,,,, I feel both are good 'boxes' each with its Advantages and drawbacks. 

FOREMAN: I live near Katy at Clay and Fry, If ya get hung up, I can probably come by on the weekend or some weeknight (I travel out of state for work often during the week) email me at:

scotrod65 @ yahoo.com (no spaces, of course)

Take your time,,,, It will all come together! Many recommend an initial 2-0-0 stting on the Cobra. Keep track of the factory settings the Cobra comes with as you may want to reference them later.

Have you PAIR'ed it yet?

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 11:29:36 AM »

Most of the "issues" I've seen with the PCIII result from guesswork as opposed to specific dynotuning by a KNOWLEDGEABLE tuner. You will see maps published for your setup (pipes and intake) and everybody assumes that what works on Joe's bike will work identically on Mike's bike. 'Tain't so, every engine is different. And any manmade instrument can malfunction, whether it's a Power Commander, a FI2000, or a factory ECU. Your bike will run fine in the stock configuration. If you're looking for a power boost, the PCIII with a custom (as in YOUR bike on the dyno) map is the only answer. If you're looking for a smoother, cleaner running, more responsive engine, the PCIII again is the best choice; you will need to richen the mixture in places and lean it in places. If you just want to eliminate deceleration popping by fattening the low end, the fuel nanny/FI2000 will do that for you just fine. The PCIII provides for A/F tuning in 250rpm increments, something that the carburetor and the fuel nanny/FI2000 can't do. And the PCIII is the only instrument that will facilitate leaning out the A/F ratio; the others will only richen it.
02 1800C

Foreman4by

• Rider
  • Katy, TX
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 06:56:21 AM »

That's some good info. I was wondering about the differences b/w the subject programmers.

As for the pipes, I have finsihed them.....with a little friendly last minute help from scotrod. Thanks again by the way.
So the folks who signed up to drink my beer, you're off the hook for now.  :laugh:
The speedsters sound amazing, low tone, nice and loud, but not enough to annoy me. I'm really happy with them.
2007 VTX 1800F Spec1

Demon

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 07:08:04 AM »

That's some good info. I was wondering about the differences b/w the subject programmers.

As for the pipes, I have finsihed them.....with a little friendly last minute help from scotrod. Thanks again by the way.
So the folks who signed up to drink my beer, you're off the hook for now.  :laugh:
The speedsters sound amazing, low tone, nice and loud, but not enough to annoy me. I'm really happy with them.

FYI you cannot offer beer to us on the forum and then take it back...   :stickpoke:

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal