Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Aftermarket seats in Houston?  (Read 1052 times)

Foreman4by

• Rider
  • Katy, TX
Aftermarket seats in Houston?
« on: March 06, 2009, 08:24:12 PM »

Does anyone know where I might find a place in Houston that sells aftermarket seats for our bikes?
Rather than order one online, I thought it might be easier to go in and look a couple over. Just a thought.
2007 VTX 1800F Spec1
Hurricane Air Kit, PCIII, Cobras w/Thunder Monsters, L&R Extremes Forwards, Kury ISOs, X-Bars

sherri

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • The Woodlands
Re: Aftermarket seats in Houston?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 10:40:13 PM »

My suggestion it to go some of of the meet and greets and check out the seats on bikes. You can see what they will look like and probably sit on a few if you ask.

Sherri

If you ever see me with horns sticking out of my helmet
call an ambulance  .  .  .  .    I’ve hit a deer

DavidJ

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 08:27:48 AM »

+1  :agree:
'02 1800C

Isorg

• Administrator
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • 2007 1300c, 2002 Yamaha fz1
    • Izzy's Mind
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 12:32:54 AM »

i think finding a bike at a m&g with a stock seat is a challenge!

2007 1300c VTX
2002 Yamaha FZ1
2007 FJR1300

dkjsr49

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 07:55:36 AM »

:agree:
Meet and greet is probably the best solution. Talk to the owners and get opionions before you buy. A good seat is not cheap and you'll be happier if you do it right the first time.  I have a Corbin, I like it, but I should have looked further. I've sat on some pretty comfortable seats that might have ended up on my bike if I had looked a little longer.  Good Luck.

beaux43

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • "Punxher"
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 08:21:39 PM »

Saw an ad in Thunder Roads mag.  - "STITCHES" on Hwy 6...they claim to do it all.
'03 1800R
'08 GL1800 GoldWing

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally wornout, shouting..."What a Ride!"

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 09:01:37 PM »

Local be ready to pay the big bucks, try http://www.meancitycycles.com/motorcycle_seat_modifications.php#passengerMods

Very reasonable and they do good work and fast turn around.  ;D
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

figowitz

• Tejano
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 09:14:36 PM »

I'll second Gumbo's recommendation  :agree:  of Mean City Cycles.  Allen's done 2 seats for me and his work is both reasonable and good.  Makes the stock seat very, very comfy!    :bikerider:

:flag: 

Foreman4by

• Rider
  • Katy, TX
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 10:59:16 AM »

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Mean City looks to have a good thing going.
2007 VTX 1800F Spec1
Hurricane Air Kit, PCIII, Cobras w/Thunder Monsters, L&R Extremes Forwards, Kury ISOs, X-Bars

Demon

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 11:39:01 AM »

Stock modify seats are like the Clayton mod on the pipes...

Niterider

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Houston, TX
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 06:15:09 PM »

Another factor that you need to consider when changing seats is how the new seat will change your riding position.  Some seats will move you forward, and others will move you backwards.  Some will raise you up, and others will lower you.  Whatever the change, it will affect your reach to the handlebars and to the foot controls.  The change may be minor and may actually improve your reach, but, depending on the seat, the change could also significantly worsen your reach.  Therefore, you should do more than simply sit on a particular seat on someone else's bike--unless their bike is the same specific model as yours (e.g. if you own a VTX1800C, sit on the seat of interest on another VTX1800C, not on a VTX1800F) with the same style handlebars and foot controls.  If their seat is easily removable and their willing to let you do this, you might try their seat on your bike.

Of course, after installing a seat that you really like, you can always make adjustments to your bike with handlebar risers, etc., to re-position yourself if necessary.  However, that might require a lot more time and expense than you think.

Good Luck,

Mike
White '08 GL1800 with ABS, Nav, Premium Stereo, Comfort Package
Black '03 1800C;  retro bars, RIVCO risers, BBP lightbar, mustang seat, Paladin backrest/luggage rack, etc.
White '06 GL1800 with Nav, Premium Stereo, Comfort Package

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal