Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: GPS.....Which brand is better?  (Read 5358 times)

dkjsr49

• Old Timer
Re: GPS.....Which brand is better?
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2009, 08:36:07 AM »

I have a Garmin and it works great. :thumbup:

RedDragon

• Master of Monumental Proportions

2005 VTX 1800C Red Tribal Flame
2005 Yamaha FZ1 Silver

Lucky

• Board
  • Elvis
  • Canyon Lake, TX
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2009, 09:13:26 AM »

Murry_61, Wayne has the Nuvi mounted on his bike.  He installed a waterproof cig lighter plug right in front of the left side cover.  He then ran the power cord under the tank and up to the handlebars and it slips in the back of a RAM mount.  It works great.  We have mounted the same plug on my bike and will just buy another power cord so we can switch it back and forth.
"Lucky" Connie
'06 Pearl Dark Blue 1300C
If you don't love what you're doing, then don't do it.
Your chances of success are directly proportional to the degree of pleasure you derive from what you do.

DavidJ

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2009, 09:36:58 AM »

Anyone got one of these? This is the one I have been looking at.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Garmin-StreetPilot-2820-Auto-Motorcycle-GPS-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ330304377463QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGPS_Devices?hash=item330304377463&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50
I have the 2730 which has the same features as the 2820 minus the XM and bluetooth.  I picked it up on eBay for less than $200.  The person I bought my bike from had the same modle so the bike already had a mount and a power cable installed.  Works great for me.
'02 1800C

Demon

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2009, 11:15:08 AM »

I have the Zumo 550, It was free  ;D  my ex wife got it for me as a christmas present... I like it.  Is water resistand, it includes all the mounts and cable you need to install it on the car and bike.  By the time you add the cost of the ram mount and what ever cables you need to wire a cheaper unit that is not water resistant or vibration resistant.  It my be worth it to go the extra money for the added features.  You get the ability to get the live traffic reports, XM radio, and you can plan stops in your ride.  I'm happy with mine.  I have seen them for around $600.00 on ebay.  I don't have to worry about rain, or having to take it off the bike every time I go somewhere since the unit is locked on its mount.  The car mount is very nice also... 

RocknRoll

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Kingwood, TX
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2009, 01:27:57 PM »

Mine is a Garmin GPSMap276C.  No radio or anything but it has a 12 hour battery.  Most of the time I have it plugged in to my electric outlet that comes standard on my bike.

I can take off and use it for off road hiking/hunting.  Add a marine map of the coastal area/bays or freshwater lakes you want and you can take off hunting, fishing, hikeing, geo-cacheing.  I have used it extensively in the mountains, zoomed in and view the switchbacks before I get to them.  That early pucker warning is really helpful in those decreasing radius turns!

I think Garmin has a newer model out now.  I've had mine almost 4 years now.  Been rained on, dropped, fell off the bike just about everything and it still works.  I'm happy with it.  Heck, it even shows the turn-rows on the cotton fields back home!
Wanna make God laugh?  -  Tell him your plans!

Wanna make God angry?  -  Treat Him with indifference!

wwaggett

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Clear Lake, Texas Always busy doing nothing at all
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2009, 03:11:59 PM »

I have the Zumo 450. It has less features than the 550, but the extra features were (to me) not worth the $$.

Isorg

• Administrator
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • 2007 1300c, 2002 Yamaha fz1
    • Izzy's Mind
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2009, 03:16:54 PM »

I got the Zumo 550, it comes with everything you need.  Ram mount, wiring harness, car power adapter, motorcycle mount, car mount, USB cables, map software.

these things are built tough too.  left hand buttons.   Very nice gps for the bike.

2007 1300c VTX
2002 Yamaha FZ1
2007 FJR1300

Demon

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2009, 03:38:52 PM »

I have the Zumo 450. It has less features than the 550, but the extra features were (to me) not worth the $$.

How much is the 450?

TAZ

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Conroe TX.
    • The "TAZ" Machine
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2009, 06:30:00 PM »

I got the Zumo 550, it comes with everything you need.  Ram mount, wiring harness, car power adapter, motorcycle mount, car mount, USB cables, map software.

these things are built tough too.  left hand buttons.   Very nice gps for the bike.

Yeah I liked yours. :thumbup:
Later,
"TAZ"
1300C

LEDS installed for $150.00 for members and $200.00 for non members. 14 pods, switch, fuse holder, 3amp fuse included for that price.
http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z147/LEDTAZ/

Dusty

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2009, 06:30:46 PM »

Mine is a Garmin GPSMap276C.  No radio or anything but it has a 12 hour battery.  Most of the time I have it plugged in to my electric outlet that comes standard on my bike.

I can take off and use it for off road hiking/hunting.  Add a marine map of the coastal area/bays or freshwater lakes you want and you can take off hunting, fishing, hikeing, geo-cacheing.  I have used it extensively in the mountains, zoomed in and view the switchbacks before I get to them.  That early pucker warning is really helpful in those decreasing radius turns!

I think Garmin has a newer model out now.  I've had mine almost 4 years now.  Been rained on, dropped, fell off the bike just about everything and it still works.  I'm happy with it.  Heck, it even shows the turn-rows on the cotton fields back home!

So, according to your third sentence in the last paragraph, you and the GPS have a lot in common.  :stickpoke: :pot: :couch:

larry_357

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2009, 06:40:54 PM »

Garmin as they have been in the GPS business a long time and I have the Zumo 550 but have not had a chance to connect it to the bike.I do use it in my truck all the time and works great with bluetooth  O0
Alvin,Texas

Xmark

• Old Timer
  • San Marcos, TX
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2009, 07:02:58 PM »

I would recommend a Garmin product only! I'm in the aviation industry and Garmin is a trusted name in aircraft avionics. We use Garmin GPS units in our aircraft exclusively. If it's good enough for aircraft, I figure it's good enough for my vehicles. ;D

For my Bike/Truck, I use a Nuvi 760. It has all the features I need but isn't as expensive as the Zumo line. Plus, it has a big screen. I have no problem using the touchscreen features wearing gloves. It's not water proof but I don't like riding in the rain anyway. If I got caught in a rain storm, I would simply put the unit in the handlebar bag or a saddle bag. My mount has rubber isolators, so vibration shouldn't be a problem. I have a friend that's been running a Nuvi on his bike for over a year and has never had vibration related issues.

I use a Techmount http://www.techmounts.com/ which holds the unit real solid and can be adjusted in a number of angles.

Here are a few pictures of the installation on my 1800F model...

I like how the Techmount positions the Nuvi 760 directly over my digital instrument cluster.
A quick glance gives me all the info I need.

This side view shows the SD memory card slot. I have a 4GB card installed which hold all my MP3 tunes.
The audio plug goes to my Autocom system which handles all the audio to my helmet (including intercom to passenger) nicely.
The stereo sound quality for my tunes is excellent.
I have a cigarette lighter receptacle in my handlebar bag for power.

Another view with the GPS removed from the holder. The holder is from Ram.
When the unit isn't mounted, I simply tuck the audio and power cable into the handlebar bag.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 07:05:41 PM by Xmark »
"Life is like a jar of Jalapeno peppers.
What you do today, might Burn Your butt Tomorrow"

jmdaniel

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other toy, '77 FJ40...
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2009, 07:11:18 PM »

I've got a Techmount on the Feejer as well, puts the Zumo right in front, but below the gages.  :thumbup:
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
-- Unknown

2016 Honda F6B Deluxe
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2003 Honda VTX 1300

VTXLady53

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney,TX <>< Member since 2004
    • Marigold's Basic Webs
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2009, 09:04:53 PM »

How much is the 450?

If I remember I think I paid $350.00
Life is too short for drama or petty things, so laugh hard, love truly and forgive quickly. Live While You Are Alive. Forgive now those who made you cry. You might not get a second time.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal