Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: GPS.....Which brand is better?  (Read 5346 times)

TAZ

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Conroe TX.
    • The "TAZ" Machine
GPS.....Which brand is better?
« on: March 02, 2009, 09:45:43 PM »

OK I am new to GPS and I am thinking about getting a lowend one to play with.  Which is better TomTom or Garmin?  Anything I need to know?  Is there a monthly fee?

Thanks! :thumbup:
Later,
"TAZ"
1300C

LEDS installed for $150.00 for members and $200.00 for non members. 14 pods, switch, fuse holder, 3amp fuse included for that price.
http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z147/LEDTAZ/

Lucky

• Board
  • Elvis
  • Canyon Lake, TX
    • Facebook
Re: GPS.....Which brand is better?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 09:58:58 PM »

We have a Garmin Nuvi 200 (which is low end) and it is great.  There are definitely some features that I think the more expensive ones have that this one doesn't, but this one has meet our needs and is well worth the money we spent on it.
"Lucky" Connie
'06 Pearl Dark Blue 1300C
If you don't love what you're doing, then don't do it.
Your chances of success are directly proportional to the degree of pleasure you derive from what you do.

murray_61

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Hobe Sound, FL
    • facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 10:02:37 PM »

+1 on the Garmin Nuvi 200 runs just a little over $100

I don't like tom tom...

TAZ

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Conroe TX.
    • The "TAZ" Machine
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 10:17:04 PM »

Thanks Guys!! 
After having a bike in the group with one when we made the east texas ride made me think one would be nice to have for that reason.
It makes it real easy to find all the deep woods back roads and make it home. ;D
Later,
"TAZ"
1300C

LEDS installed for $150.00 for members and $200.00 for non members. 14 pods, switch, fuse holder, 3amp fuse included for that price.

murray_61

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Hobe Sound, FL
    • facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 10:43:20 PM »

I've been trying to figure out what I am going to do to mount and power the unit on the bike.  Figured on a handle bar mount, but haven't figured out what I am going to do to power it just yet...

Tinman5507

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Elmo, Tx 06-18c
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 10:49:41 PM »

Don't buy the cobra, mine will get you lost in a heart beat, then grip at you for getting of course when you pull over to ask for directions.   :cuss:

I'm good at pissing people off, just ask my wife, neighbors, or half the people on this forum.

TAZ

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Conroe TX.
    • The "TAZ" Machine
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 10:50:02 PM »

Run a line from your battery.
Later,
"TAZ"
1300C

TAZ

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Conroe TX.
    • The "TAZ" Machine
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 10:50:42 PM »

Don't buy the cobra, mine will get you lost in a heart beat, then grip at you for getting of course when you pull over to ask for directions.   :cuss:

LMFAO!!
Later,
"TAZ"
1300C

murray_61

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Hobe Sound, FL
    • facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 12:40:33 AM »

Right, but it is a mini usb connection...  Don't want to pump too much or too little juice to it...  I believe the Garmin 200 is 5V at 500mA (heard that too much can burn it up, and too little might not charge it).  Hooking up a cigarette lighter connection will work with the charger that came with it, but the cord is like a telephone cord and i think would be troublesome to run and take off when I take it in the truck.  I want to run power permanently so that I can just plug it in when on the bike, but then I can also use that source to charge the blackberry or mp3 player (both will charge off of 5V at 500mA).  I was going to post a thread asking others how they have powered theirs, but haven't gotten around to it...

TAZ

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Conroe TX.
    • The "TAZ" Machine
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 01:08:32 AM »

Right, but it is a mini usb connection...  Don't want to pump too much or too little juice to it...  I believe the Garmin 200 is 5V at 500mA (heard that too much can burn it up, and too little might not charge it).  Hooking up a cigarette lighter connection will work with the charger that came with it, but the cord is like a telephone cord and i think would be troublesome to run and take off when I take it in the truck.  I want to run power permanently so that I can just plug it in when on the bike, but then I can also use that source to charge the blackberry or mp3 player (both will charge off of 5V at 500mA).  I was going to post a thread asking others how they have powered theirs, but haven't gotten around to it...

So just hook up a cigarette lighter connection and run power permanently under the tank to the front with a docking station.  Than just buy another one for your truck.
Just my 2 cents... :-\  That is my plan if I get one.  Only with mine it will not be permanent.  I wouldn't want to mess up my PrEtTy Bike...LOL ;D
Later,
"TAZ"
1300C

POGOGOLF

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Jeff in GA - '02 1800 C
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 05:57:46 AM »

+1 on the Garmin Nuvi 200 runs just a little over $100

I don't like tom tom...
+1  :thumbup:
Ride Safe!! Jeff in GA <>< I believe in Easter
'02 1800 C model - 57,000 miles and climbing

BobB

• Old Timer
  • Cypress, TX
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 06:16:01 AM »

I use a Megellan 1400 that I bought for $160 at Best Buy.  I use it every day and it does a good kob of getting where I need to be.  It has a 4 1/2 inch screen, don't get one any smaller.  The only problem I see for a bike is being able to hear the dirrections, it is not a good idea to take your eyes off the road all the time.  It will run several hours on just the built in battery.

Dusty

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 06:30:49 AM »

I went whole hog and got the zummo 550. They have a new one out now I think. I like it because of the XM and I can swap it from bike to truck. It comes with a cradle for each vehicle. I'll admit that in a way I regret spending so much because to use the bluetooth feature I have to wear a helmet which I won't want to do come warm weather. Plus, to get stereo, you have to add a dongle which I have been unsuccessful in finding the best make and model, apparently there are hundreds and Garmin didn't furnish it. I don't care to hear my phone anyway but the music and the directions sure make for a relaxing ride. I've been using earbuds again, which is not so great, until I get a wire run that will be out of the way.
 I took hipshots advise a long time ago and added a fuse block under my left side cover. Everything is connected at the fuse box with the size fuse requiredand you have one hot and one ground to the battery. I leave my mount on the bike and just take the 550 with me. I do plan to get a protective cover for the mount for when the X has to sleep outdoors and I don't have my bike cover with me.

Just get one, maps are a huge time killer not to mention dangerous.

Dusty

VTXLady53

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney,TX <>< Member since 2004
    • Marigold's Basic Webs
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 07:29:22 AM »

I went 1/2 hog out and bought the Garmin Zumo 450. It was 350.00 to 400.00 cheaper then the 550. It has everything the 550 has but no sound on the bike nor Bluetooth. I don't care to talk on the phone when I am riding anyway........

For the bike Jim hard wired it and mounted it in the center of my handbars. We have windshield mounts for each vehicles and they have speakers. They use the cigerette lighter for power source .

So far so good................
Life is too short for drama or petty things, so laugh hard, love truly and forgive quickly. Live While You Are Alive. Forgive now those who made you cry. You might not get a second time.

jmdaniel

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other toy, '77 FJ40...
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 07:56:18 AM »

Zumo 550, which you may be able to get at a decent price, as it is being replaced by Garmin. Comes with car kit, meaning you get two places to use it for the price of one. Run the power straight to battery.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
-- Unknown

2016 Honda F6B Deluxe
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2003 Honda VTX 1300
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal