Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Valves too Tight - ALL of THEM?  (Read 800 times)

Ironhorse1800

• Old Timer
Valves too Tight - ALL of THEM?
« on: February 14, 2009, 09:23:21 AM »

She's all torn down, parts off to paint, desmog done (including the extra Calif. crap), ground fix done. License frame change and rear seat mods are in progress.

I bought the bike with 7,800 miles but nobody had ever been under the tank. The seat, yes. The tank, no.

At 12,000 miles I'm ready to adjust the valves. Rolled over to FT mark and all the front rockers will wiggle. I did this three times around to be sure, so I am postive to be on TDC for that jug. I can't get the correct feeler gauge in to any valve.

Too tight?

Rolled around the the rear and got the exact same results. Rechecked myself twice. Will wiggle but too tight.

So, six valves with 12,000 miles and they are ALL TOO TIGHT.

Is this true? Normal? Shouldn't they wear down and be a little loose?

Ironhorse1800 -My 2004 1800 N S3

cybrhick

• Master Tejano Rider
  • The outcast
    • Hick Custom Machine Works
Re: Valves too Tight - ALL of THEM?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 09:43:23 AM »

The valves on these bikes tighten as they move out of adjustment. And furthermore, your valve adjustment was due at 8000 miles so you are well overdue. And, yes, it is very common for all 6 to be tight.
Displaced Texan.

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 09:50:39 AM »

Call me. 281/389-2921

Jim
02 1800C

Ironhorse1800

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 12:54:10 PM »

Thanks to both for the very quick response. I owe you guys a  :c round the next time we get together.

Jim,
Your rescue call was very informative. We could have put a four pager up here and helped our post count. But, at the rate I type, the bike would be another week getting back together.

To those that want to know why, it all makes sense when I consider the valves seating into the head quicker than the valve stem and/or the adjusting bolt wearing down. Miles down the road the valves will settle in and then the process will begin to go the other way.

Hipshot can do a way better explination than I.

By the way, if your hands are like mine, XXL glove size, it really helps to speak fluent "french"  :cuss: when attempting the adjustment on the exhaust valves. I think handling a breach calf birth would be a good equal to the task. One exception; On the bike you have to turn around and stuff all those parts back in there. :ohwow:

Back to the stuffing. (Where the heck did this bolt come from? ...)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 12:56:04 PM by Ironhorse1800 »
Ironhorse1800 -My 2004 1800 N S3

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 03:04:02 PM »

Getting ready to do my 8000 mile work myself, brought in my bike for an estimate on my crash, I get started tearing it down when I get it back. It's been a week since I rode it and man it was strange ride, my wife followed me and said the bike appeared to be skewed a bit at a angle - doesn't sound good. Any way looking forward to get the results and getting back out there.  ;D ;D
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

Tinman5507

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Elmo, Tx 06-18c
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 08:17:47 PM »

Back to the stuffing. (Where the heck did this bolt come from? ...)

thats funny   :rofl:

I'm good at pissing people off, just ask my wife, neighbors, or half the people on this forum.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal