Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Oil change  (Read 2478 times)

DKJSR49

Oil change
« on: February 01, 2009, 09:28:38 AM »

Just thought I would share this.
Did an oil change yesterday, put in half quart of Lucas synthetic stabalizer and used Mobil-1 synthetic 0w-40.
What a difference in the bikes shifting.   A little more power also.
The shifting is really smooth.
Was using the Honda oil from the dealer.
Cost was about 40 bucks, but worth it.

RicksVTX

• Old Timer
Re: Oil change
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 08:19:58 PM »

Thats what I use as well cept I use the 10w40........  o wait a sec.. I used the Castroil..  sorry.

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 09:18:10 PM »

Just use a good filter and Amsoil 10W-40. It doesn't get any better than that.
02 1800C

Tinman5507

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Elmo, Tx 06-18c
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 09:47:55 PM »

I've been using Royal Purple does Amsoil work better?

I'm good at pissing people off, just ask my wife, neighbors, or half the people on this forum.

kded4009

• Tejano
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 09:55:52 PM »

I'm not a oil expert nor really know much about the subject, but you say you used Lucas oil stabilizer... is that the same as the lucas oil?  you might want to look up bob the oil guy's review on the internet... about that..  I cant remember where it was, but he demostrated that mixing Lucas with your regular syn oil base it was bad.. The lucas tends to break down and foam up in high revolutions.  What he suggests is just staying with the syn oils only, with no additives.  Another thing, would be if you did notice a difference, you might want to go with a less thicker oil weight..10w40 or something above 0w..  AGAIN I not any type of expert, but additives to a synthetic oil just doesn't seem right.

Dusty

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 10:14:07 PM »

:popcorn:

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 10:21:38 AM »

Tinman RP is good oil; I used to use it and I beleve Heirloom still does. It just has a slightly higher molybdenum content - not enough to affect your clutch.
02 1800C

wwaggett

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Clear Lake, Texas Always busy doing nothing at all
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 02:05:34 PM »

:agree:

RicksVTX

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 04:09:15 PM »

I checked the labels carefully and it says it can be blended with the syn oil ????  I am about fed up with this and that about oil.. I am about to go back to just using regular oil and just changing it like it supposed to be changed... :banghead:

Dusty

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 06:59:21 PM »

I checked the labels carefully and it says it can be blended with the syn oil ????  I am about fed up with this and that about oil.. I am about to go back to just using regular oil and just changing it like it supposed to be changed... :banghead:

Yesir, now you are catching on. Ride the beast!

kded4009

• Tejano
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 10:48:55 PM »

here's BOB to tell you how it is... O0
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

TEXVTXER

• Old Timer
  • 2006 VTX1300 R in Black...the fastest color!
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 08:45:47 PM »

Went with Castrol full synthetic 10W-40 about 500 miles ago....marked improvement in shifting.  :thumbup:
TEXVTXER
Patriot Guard Rider

2006 VTX1300R: Cobra fatty highway bars and light bar, MF 21" WS, Kury ISO Grips w/Throttle Boss and Longhorn Hwy. pegs, Cobra sissy bar w/luggage rack, Ultimate X Big Boy w/Ultimate Pssgr. Seat, Leatherlyke Bags, Kury Ultra Tour Bag.

heirloom

• Old Timer
  • Tyler, Texas
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 11:22:02 PM »

Tinman RP is good oil; I used to use it and I beleve Heirloom still does. It just has a slightly higher molybdenum content - not enough to affect your clutch.

Actually, Hip, I switched about a year ago to the Rotella synth, 5w-40.  It performed much better in the 3 ball wear test than any of the other contenders.  It is actually a diesel oil, but, contains no friction modifiers....so, safe for the wet clutch.  I like the lower number that allows the oil to get into the heads and critical parts much sooner, plus it has excellent adherence for when the bike is sitting.  You can get the gallon jug (blue, don't get the white jug, it is dino oil) at Wally World for ~$20......I have bought it for as low as $16.  Been running it for over a year and have noticed a typical decrease in my oil temp....about 5 - 8 degrees.
Heirloom, MSF Rider Coach
Love my bikes!!!

TAZ

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Conroe TX.
    • The "TAZ" Machine
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 11:29:49 PM »

Actually, Hip, I switched about a year ago to the Rotella synth, 5w-40.  It performed much better in the 3 ball wear test than any of the other contenders.  It is actually a diesel oil, but, contains no friction modifiers....so, safe for the wet clutch.  I like the lower number that allows the oil to get into the heads and critical parts much sooner, plus it has excellent adherence for when the bike is sitting.  You can get the gallon jug (blue, don't get the white jug, it is dino oil) at Wally World for ~$20......I have bought it for as low as $16.  Been running it for over a year and have noticed a typical decrease in my oil temp....about 5 - 8 degrees.

WOW!!
Thanks for the info! :thumbup:

Amsoil is going crazy on there pricing! :banghead:  I just put the last of what I had in my bike this oil change.  So I might try your oil.
Later,
"TAZ"
1300C

LEDS installed for $150.00 for members and $200.00 for non members. 14 pods, switch, fuse holder, 3amp fuse included for that price.
http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z147/LEDTAZ/

RedDragon

• Master of Monumental Proportions
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 11:33:40 PM »

Rotella synth, 5w-40

:agree: Tis what I use in our bikes :thumbup:

2005 VTX 1800C Red Tribal Flame
2005 Yamaha FZ1 Silver
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal