Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Front suspension questions  (Read 1874 times)

VTXGRL

• Old Timer
  • Grapevine
Front suspension questions
« on: January 31, 2009, 10:07:10 AM »

Hi guys, long time no post (but I still lurk a lot).  I've finally started to develop the infamous wobble and have just bought the All Balls tapered bearings and progressive front springs.  Here's my question... how permanent is this fix?  The reason I ask is that I don't have the tools or know-how to do this myself.  So if it's a pretty permanent fix I'll just spend the $$ to have the stealer do it.  But if this is something I'll have to do again in the next however-many-miles, is there someone out there willing to lend a hand and show me how to do this on my own and let me know the exact tools I need? (been checking posts/threads and see quite a few just make their own special tool for the bearing job)  I've been learning to do most of the basic maintenance myself, so I'm not completely inept :laugh:, however, I would need some help.

If anyone is willing, we could talk about compensation, be it $$ or food & beer.  I live out in the Keller area.  Thanks!
“You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas”
~ Davy Crockett
2006 VTX 1300R candy black cherry

gsboriqua

• Old Timer
Re: Front suspension questions
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 12:06:46 PM »

Bearings wear out, but I do believe the all balls will last alot longer than than oem ones.  Upon install, I could immediately see how the design is an improvement over the oem's.  A couple things I would check though is to make sure your triple trees are secure.  You may just need to tighten them up and the wobble will go away.

Phattened up by www.stumpwerx.com
Custom work by www.cat5customs.com

ViciousNoob

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 05:38:16 PM »

The wobble is caused by the cheap a$$ bearings that comes from the factory. The all-balls fixes it for good. Mine has about 10k miles since the swap...no wobble has come back
If I wasn't n00b, I sure would want to be!!! ;-)

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 06:06:33 PM »

One thing that a lot of people tend to overlook is maintenance. You occasionally have to reset the bearing as it wears, to preclude slack . I've seen a lot of high-mileage bikes that had too-loose steering head bearings. We're not talking a whole lot of slack, but it doesn't take much. Often retorquing the bearing will cure the problem.
02 1800C

TEXVTXER

• Old Timer
  • 2006 VTX1300 R in Black...the fastest color!
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 08:48:27 PM »

+1 on retorqueing (sp?) the steering bearings...
TEXVTXER
Patriot Guard Rider

2006 VTX1300R: Cobra fatty highway bars and light bar, MF 21" WS, Kury ISO Grips w/Throttle Boss and Longhorn Hwy. pegs, Cobra sissy bar w/luggage rack, Ultimate X Big Boy w/Ultimate Pssgr. Seat, Leatherlyke Bags, Kury Ultra Tour Bag.

Crewsn

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • leander(austin), texas
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 10:18:05 PM »

all the advice given is correct. I've got an 1800 that at 25K had to retorque the trees due to "slop".
since you already have the bearings go ahead and definetly replace them. I have yet to read of anyone ever having to replace the new bearings. good luck and ride safe.
03 1800 C, airbox mod, K&N filter, roadhouse shorty.

SteveS

• Regular Advanced
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • 2006 VTX 1300R,2005 GL 1800,2013 Goldwing Trike
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 11:05:39 PM »

I had my 06 1300R checked at the dealer for steering wobble and a clunking niose in the front end. They said the wobble was typical of the model with stock tires,they suggested tightening the steering head bearings ( 6324 miles ).
 After $75.00 ,it still wobbled,and still had the klunking.
Put in Race Tech front springs (7473 miles ),that took care of the clunking ( front forks bottoming out on the stops ),the wobble not as bad.
Changed tires to Metzler 880's  ( 13699 miles ), 2000 miles ago no more wobble!!!!!!
These tires made my bike feel and ride so much better.
Good luck and have a nice day

ViciousNoob

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 12:16:21 AM »

Trust me on this one..... It's the bearings

I had the dreaded wobble. It was freaking horrible. i was just learning how to ride and it wobbled like hell....

I retorqued the old ones four times on my '03 1300 retro. Went too tight, too loose, just right, no help. When I replaced the bearings, it was immediately fixed. I swear it's the problem. I'm so sure that if it does not fix it, I'll give you the $26 bucks for the bearings and hang on to them myself. It'll work... I promise! :thumbup:
If I wasn't n00b, I sure would want to be!!! ;-)

VTXGRL

• Old Timer
  • Grapevine
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 09:04:39 AM »

Trust me on this one..... It's the bearings

I had the dreaded wobble. It was freaking horrible. i was just learning how to ride and it wobbled like hell....

I retorqued the old ones four times on my '03 1300 retro. Went too tight, too loose, just right, no help. When I replaced the bearings, it was immediately fixed. I swear it's the problem. I'm so sure that if it does not fix it, I'll give you the $26 bucks for the bearings and hang on to them myself. It'll work... I promise! :thumbup:

Yep, that must be the issue as this past week I borrowed a neighbors wrench and re-torqued with basically no effect.  I've got Metz tires, balance & tire pressure is good as well.  So now that I've got the All Balls & Progressives (I love DLP sales!), guess I'll just take it to the stealer for installation.
“You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas”
~ Davy Crockett
2006 VTX 1300R candy black cherry

Bomber

• Old Timer
  • 03' 1800R slightly modded......
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 10:37:47 PM »

I'm doing the Big Ballz and progressives all the way around.  Looking for someone in the DFW area that has that stinking socket to borrow or rent.  Even if I have to buy a socket, it'll be cheaper than a stealer taking off my fairing and other doo dadz. 

I could easily get a tankslapper if I let go of the bars when slowing through 40 or so.

Tinman5507

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Elmo, Tx 06-18c
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 05:49:38 AM »

I believe i got one i'll check an post back tonight an let you know.

I'm good at pissing people off, just ask my wife, neighbors, or half the people on this forum.

Tinman5507

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Elmo, Tx 06-18c
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 11:30:13 AM »

It's going to be a 30 or 31mm, i have a 29 an 32mm. sorry

I'm good at pissing people off, just ask my wife, neighbors, or half the people on this forum.

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2009, 11:53:18 AM »

If it's a 30MM socket a 1 3/16" will work and if 31MM a 1 1/4" is just a hair big but should work. Find a hex socket (6 point) and you'll be ok.
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2009, 12:04:55 PM »

It's a castle socket.
02 1800C

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2009, 02:54:11 PM »

It's a castle socket.

Woops I forgot.  ???
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal