Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Inspection Stickers  (Read 4542 times)

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
Re: Inspection Stickers
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2009, 12:53:54 PM »

There is a bolt that holds the brake line on the side of the swing arm and I just mounted it to it! It lays about a 1/16 out away from the swing arm so it isn't rubbing on it!
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

Underdog

• Tejano
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2009, 12:58:30 PM »

I wonder if I could just cut the tab off of the dealer plate and clean it up and mount it in the same place. I would think that would work and it would let me buy a shiny plate bracket.....  ;)
Jim
"If you work for a man, and he provides you a paycheck, speak well of him and the company he created. If you cannot, resign your position, and once outside the door complain to your heart's content." -- Author Unknown

tom cat

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2009, 01:51:52 PM »

Back in the 70s around here you were lucky to get through any shitsplat town on a bike without being stopped. They seldom pay attention now.

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2009, 04:52:53 PM »

I wonder if I could just cut the tab off of the dealer plate and clean it up and mount it in the same place. I would think that would work and it would let me buy a shiny plate bracket.....  ;)

My inspection plate holder is cut out of high grade aircraft Aluminum. Kinda cut like this but with rounded edges.

*                                       O  *
Member since 2004

Tinman5507

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Elmo, Tx 06-18c
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2009, 06:39:08 PM »

not very legit, but i have mine stuck to the inside of the false cover where your tool kit goes. Havent been bugged yet.

I did that on the wife's bike. I just carry mine in my pocket, next to my badge that always help when they ask for it.

I'm good at pissing people off, just ask my wife, neighbors, or half the people on this forum.

Ironhorse1800

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2009, 01:28:34 AM »

I bought my bike in September. The dealer had already put the sticker on the driveshaft cover. At the correct angle you can see it in front of the beetle bag.
Ironhorse1800 -My 2004 1800 N S3

KEBS

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Spring, Texas
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2009, 02:52:26 AM »

Hmmmmm what is an inspection sticker???  >:D
Becca
2002 Silver VTX 1800C - no more it's gone gone
2007 FXSTSSE (HD Soft Tail Springer Screaming Eagle 110)
2008 Suzuki Hayabusa

http://www.myspace.com/spankmesweet

iluvink

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2009, 07:52:55 AM »

I had this one made for me..one piece, and chromed. $75

I did change to regular small head chromed bolts.  Looks cleaner that way.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 08:31:18 AM by iluvink »

vtxcrzr

• Old Timer
  • New Braunfels, TX Black 1800C
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2009, 08:12:47 AM »

I have mine mounted on a chrome plate by my left front foot peg.  I have been stopped a few times for speed. During each stop they gave the bike and my paperwork (registration, insurance, drivers license, inspection sticker) a thorough going over.  Everything was current and there has never been a comment about the location of the inspection sticker.  As quoted above the law clearly states that the inspection sticker must be mounted on the rear of the bike.  Based on my experience this appears to fall into the area of Officer discretion and as long as you have a current sticker visible on the bike somewhere and you are not acting like an idiot before or during the stop you will likely not be cited. If you do not have all your paperwork current and/or you act like an idiot the Officer is perfectly justified to write you up for every single violation including illegal positioning of your inspection sticker. It simply will not matter what other peoples experiences have been.

In the words of David Bromberg: "A man should never gamble.........more than he can stand to lose."

POGOGOLF

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Jeff in GA - '02 1800 C
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2009, 08:59:10 AM »

I have mine mounted on a chrome plate by my left front foot peg.  I have been stopped a few times for speed. During each stop they gave the bike and my paperwork (registration, insurance, drivers license, inspection sticker) a thorough going over.  Everything was current and there has never been a comment about the location of the inspection sticker.  As quoted above the law clearly states that the inspection sticker must be mounted on the rear of the bike.  Based on my experience this appears to fall into the area of Officer discretion and as long as you have a current sticker visible on the bike somewhere and you are not acting like an idiot before or during the stop you will likely not be cited. If you do not have all your paperwork current and/or you act like an idiot the Officer is perfectly justified to write you up for every single violation including illegal positioning of your inspection sticker. It simply will not matter what other peoples experiences have been.

In the words of David Bromberg: "A man should never gamble.........more than he can stand to lose."
Excellent point/comment/observation/warning. JMHO.
Ride Safe!! Jeff in GA <>< I believe in Easter
'02 1800 C model - 57,000 miles and climbing

Ironhorse1800

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2009, 11:30:18 AM »

Inspection Stickers are very special. Not everybody can get one.

Go to a cager shop :ohwow: and keep a very close eye on your bike. Pay good money to have some kid that hasn't a clue check out your ride and ask you stupid questions. Give him answers he doesn't understand and you too can have an inspection sticker. Try it some day. It doesn't hurt all that bad. However, some shops tend to leave an ugly sticky spot on your ride.

Most shops want the headlight to work. Some will check for a taillight. Tires need not have tread. I hear brakes are optional.
Ironhorse1800 -My 2004 1800 N S3

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2009, 04:06:10 PM »

Inspection Stickers are very special. Not everybody can get one.

Go to a cager shop :ohwow: and keep a very close eye on your bike. Pay good money to have some kid that hasn't a clue check out your ride and ask you stupid questions. Give him answers he doesn't understand and you too can have an inspection sticker. Try it some day. It doesn't hurt all that bad. However, some shops tend to leave an ugly sticky spot on your ride.

Most shops want the headlight to work. Some will check for a taillight. Tires need not have tread. I hear brakes are optional.

There used to be a lot of those. Not too many left.
02 1800C

guardrail

• Tejano
  • Man...where u been?
    • myspace
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2009, 06:23:34 PM »

k, after all this talk about inspections, i looked at my sticker and loe and behold it had expired in Nov. of last year. so I go to get inspected and the guy goes.."Aw man, you gotta have some kinda baffle to pass inspection."  :boxing:  So I drive back home, get the crappy slip-on baffles on and ride back.  :banghead:  I didn't know you had to have baffles to pass.  :violin:  I ride V&H bigshots without baffles of course and as this is my first street bike and have only had it for less than a year, I'm learning things as I go. Just thought this might be good info for anyone interested. by the way, if you run open, get a cheap pair of slip-ons and just put them in for inspection then remove them when you get home.
it had a pucker facter of about 5000!!!
Baron aka "Guardrail"

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2009, 06:29:18 PM »

Just depends on where you go!!  :bikerider:
Member since 2004

Underdog

• Tejano
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2009, 06:53:46 PM »

I appreciate all the good info I have gotten on here and will get the one at the stealership that attaches to the bolt on the swingarm.  :thumbup:
Jim
"If you work for a man, and he provides you a paycheck, speak well of him and the company he created. If you cannot, resign your position, and once outside the door complain to your heart's content." -- Author Unknown
Pages: 1 [2] 3

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal