Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Energy Conserving engine oil  (Read 1202 times)

RicksVTX

• Old Timer
Energy Conserving engine oil
« on: January 22, 2009, 12:40:46 PM »

Ok.. Looking for information about this.. I have been told that we can use this type oil, but can anyone tell me why this is true??  Most of the synthetic oils I have seen on the market all have this in the little circle where the rest of the specs are for the oil.. I have heard its not good for wet clutches like the ones we have. just looking for some clearity on the matter is all..

Thanks
Rick

wwaggett

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Clear Lake, Texas Always busy doing nothing at all
Re: Energy Conserving engine oil
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 01:25:41 PM »

j1mmyj4m

• The Shocker
  • Administrator
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Deer Park, Tx
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 01:55:42 PM »

I think you meant "can't".  You do NOT want to use Energy Conservative as it uses friction modifiers.  The wet clutch does not like this at all.

I accidentally used it once (missed the label) and I could not get out of gear unless I slammed it down or picked up my foot as hard as possible.  Two oil changes later with the correct oil and it works fine now.  I was in Colorado when it started screwing up and almost didn't get out of gear.
Chunk the llama.

RicksVTX

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 02:02:39 PM »

yea  I meant cant.. LOL  Need to proof read a little closer I guess.. LOL 
Thanks for the link and information..  I have been trying all kinds of differnet oils and weights trying to quite down tha top end rattle my bike has.. It has 20w50 in it right now and my gas milage is in the toliet... So I am changeing again before the trip this weekend... I guess I am just going to have to get me some ear plugs so I wont hear it anymore.. :banghead:

Rick

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 04:11:37 PM »

You don't need 20W50 with a liquid-cooled engine. V-twins are naturally noisy; compare yours to someone else's and see if it actually is too noisy. You may just need a valve adjustment, or you may even be fine where you're at.
02 1800C

RicksVTX

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 04:32:05 PM »

I know its to thick of a oil.. My gas milage tells me that.. LOL  I will go back to the factory wants and back to a synthetic as well.. Being able to hear other motors and talk to other owners face to face is one of the reasons I joined this place.. I am looking forward to meeting some of you this weekend at the meet and greet...

Rick

POGOGOLF

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Jeff in GA - '02 1800 C
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 10:28:06 PM »

Digging back into the my late '01/early '02 saved documents, I offer a word of advice from T-Rex (an extremely well thought of old timer back in the early days of the VTX)...he said, "Guys:
I'd really like to clear the air here. The reason cars have hydraulic valve lash adjusters is to get rid of noise so they will sell (and to reduce maintenance) and this is done at the expense of horsepower. So-called "solid" lifters, such as in 99% of motorcycles, including the VTX, make noise. Period. But they also result in more horsepower.
The same holds true for the decompression mechanism, which is the same technology and is inherently noisy, particularly if you set the idle too low, to be “cool”, which in turn keeps the decompressor fly weight from seating properly and, thus, makes the tapping noise.
Just ride your bike and enjoy it. The tapping, ticking, whirring, and whining is all part of making a high performance engine, and to get rid of those sounds, the engineers would have to sacrifice performance, such as in the case of hydraulic lifters. ("Hydraulics" require a milder cam, and heavier springs for the same lift, both of which cost you HP.)
The same is true of gear noise. As you change the mesh angle of the gear teeth, they get quieter, and quieter. BUT(!), this also consumes horsepower. Straighter cut gears make more noise and "give" you more HP at the rear wheel. Which would you prefer? Free horsepower or less noise? I think we both know the answer, and so does Honda, which is why your valves tap and your gears make noise/whine at certain speeds in certain gears. Just ride, and enjoy the bike. PS: I bought my VTX, broke it in for 600 miles, and then road coast-to-coast and up into Canada, over 10,000 miles, without any problems. NONE. Yes the valves tap. Yes the decompressor taps. That is what mechanical things do. It is a good bike. Enjoy it instead of nit-picking it.
R/
T-Rex"
Ride Safe!! Jeff in GA <>< I believe in Easter
'02 1800 C model - 57,000 miles and climbing

RedDragon

• Master of Monumental Proportions
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 10:56:26 PM »

Digging back into the my late '01/early '02 saved documents, I offer a word of advice from T-Rex (an extremely well thought of old timer back in the early days of the VTX)...he said, "Guys:
I'd really like to clear the air here. The reason cars have hydraulic valve lash adjusters is to get rid of noise so they will sell (and to reduce maintenance) and this is done at the expense of horsepower. So-called "solid" lifters, such as in 99% of motorcycles, including the VTX, make noise. Period. But they also result in more horsepower.
The same holds true for the decompression mechanism, which is the same technology and is inherently noisy, particularly if you set the idle too low, to be “cool”, which in turn keeps the decompressor fly weight from seating properly and, thus, makes the tapping noise.
Just ride your bike and enjoy it. The tapping, ticking, whirring, and whining is all part of making a high performance engine, and to get rid of those sounds, the engineers would have to sacrifice performance, such as in the case of hydraulic lifters. ("Hydraulics" require a milder cam, and heavier springs for the same lift, both of which cost you HP.)
The same is true of gear noise. As you change the mesh angle of the gear teeth, they get quieter, and quieter. BUT(!), this also consumes horsepower. Straighter cut gears make more noise and "give" you more HP at the rear wheel. Which would you prefer? Free horsepower or less noise? I think we both know the answer, and so does Honda, which is why your valves tap and your gears make noise/whine at certain speeds in certain gears. Just ride, and enjoy the bike. PS: I bought my VTX, broke it in for 600 miles, and then road coast-to-coast and up into Canada, over 10,000 miles, without any problems. NONE. Yes the valves tap. Yes the decompressor taps. That is what mechanical things do. It is a good bike. Enjoy it instead of nit-picking it.
R/
T-Rex"

Excellent post! :cool2: But Gumbo says those 1300's make all kinds of noises! :ohwow: :stickpoke: :t

2005 VTX 1800C Red Tribal Flame
2005 Yamaha FZ1 Silver

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 11:13:25 PM »

A lot of those noises come from the driver eating gumbo............. :pot:
02 1800C

RicksVTX

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 09:23:12 AM »

it isnt valve noise. they are dead on in adjustment.. I did it myself. However the decompression system as you call it is new to me.. That I will have to read up on as see if it fits the noise my bike makes. It only does it when rolling the throttle on and when crumbing under a load. Other than that its quite... This is the 1st big twin I have ever owned and I guess that is a normal noise.. 2 different shops in the area say it normal, but yet cant tell me what the noise is.. Thats gets me more than anything. Not knowing what is making the noise !!

Thanks for the replies guys..

Rick

Crewsn

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • leander(austin), texas
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 02:39:23 PM »

the decompression cam/system reduces some of the compression on start up to make starting easier. mine makes the exact noise you are describing. has since day one and I'm at 32k now. I was worried as well when i got this bike, lots of noises. good luck and ride safe.
03 1800 C, airbox mod, K&N filter, roadhouse shorty.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal