Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Power Commander purchased, need a 'Wrencher's help...  (Read 1244 times)

NoGoodDirtySnake

• Trailer Queen
Power Commander purchased, need a 'Wrencher's help...
« on: January 12, 2009, 12:09:48 PM »

Hello all!  Am pretty new to the site, am hoping for some positive things from it.

Have a 2005 1800 F2 that I just purchased a Power Commander for, off an eBay store.  I'm a minor-Mechanic, you know, do my own oil and junk like that, but not too savvy with the old fuel-injection and engine work...  I know this is a pretty straight-forward task, but I'd like to have some guidance from someone more experienced than I!

If there's a ShadeTree event going on shortly, I'd be happy to attend and help out with other tasks I can, if someone could help with my install!?  I'm located in Carrollton, suburb of Dallas.
If anyone is interested to help, and needs some computer work done, I'm a Network Administrator, maybe we could barter!   ;)

Lastly, am looking for some new friends to go ride with!  Most all my old crew are girlfriend-ed, married, or kid-ed now...!

Thanks!

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
Re: Power Commander purchased, need a 'Wrencher's help...
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 12:18:58 PM »

Well welcome to the Xrider Board!! I can say Iam in pretty much the same boat as you but do know that putting the PC on is pretty easy!  Good luck!!
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

NoGoodDirtySnake

• Trailer Queen
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 07:25:59 AM »

Yes...  It 'appears' easy, but you gotta have some tiny hands with long fingers, or some special tools, or take the tank off.  Unless, I just flat don't know some trick!

So, therefore, the request for some help!..

I also believe that with the different tank on the F model, that it may be a 'tad bit more inaccessible, than the other models...  I could be wrong though!?..   ;D

twistedrcpilot

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Montgomery Tx. /Lake Conroe TX
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 11:44:22 AM »

you do not have to remove the tank, if you unbolt it, you can pull it backand lift the right side.  The A good pair of needle long needle nose pliers will help you get the tap (or T) off the throttle position sensor.

Other than that, just match up the other plugs. 

It is a very easy Job. 

I would desmog at the same time.  Might as well since you have the tank off. 

Good luck.

*Closet Darksider*

ntvtx

• Rider
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 04:27:39 PM »

NoGoodDirtySnake

Pm sent

jmdaniel

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other toy, '77 FJ40...
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 09:56:12 PM »

I put one on my Feejer a few weeks back, and I assume the X isn't any tougher than that.

Like mentioned above, pull the tank, pull apart the necessary plug, insert PC inline, put tank back on.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
-- Unknown

2016 Honda F6B Deluxe
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2003 Honda VTX 1300

ViciousNoob

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 12:58:42 AM »

I put one on my Feejer a few weeks back, and I assume the X isn't any tougher than that.

Like mentioned above, pull the tank, pull apart the necessary plug, insert PC inline, put tank back on.

Jeff is right. It is that easy. We did Trents a few months back. Same boat- no directions included. I recommend uploading a map first. Much easier than when the PCIII is on the bike. Trust me, it is damn simple and straightforward. Look up install instructions on Google and git after it. I think it took us 30 minutes or so, and that is with Trent in the way stripping out air cleaner bolts, requiring me to use an eaze-out. Ughhhhh!! :boxing:
If I wasn't n00b, I sure would want to be!!! ;-)

jmdaniel

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other toy, '77 FJ40...
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 03:24:56 AM »

Jeff is right. It is that easy. We did Trents a few months back. Same boat- no directions included. I recommend uploading a map first. Much easier than when the PCIII is on the bike. Trust me, it is damn simple and straightforward. Look up install instructions on Google and git after it. I think it took us 30 minutes or so, and that is with Trent in the way stripping out air cleaner bolts, requiring me to use an eaze-out. Ughhhhh!! :boxing:

Noob, noob, noob... when ya going to learn? Step 1 with any project that Trent is involved in? Send Trent to the store to buy something. The store in New Mexico....  :stickpoke: :D
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
-- Unknown

2016 Honda F6B Deluxe
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2003 Honda VTX 1300

ViciousNoob

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 03:37:05 AM »

Noob, noob, noob... when ya going to learn? Step 1 with any project that Trent is involved in? Send Trent to the store to buy something. The store in New Mexico....  :stickpoke: :D

Now that there is in the top 10 funniest things I have seen posted EVER!!!! True, but funny as hell nonetheless!!
If I wasn't n00b, I sure would want to be!!! ;-)

Dusty

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 04:41:33 AM »

This site will help you with just about anything you want to do to your X.  http://www.bareasschoppers.com/
If you look under RESOURCES, you will find some maps. May take some reading to find one that matches your set-up. Nothing beats a dyno though if you have the money. If you have lots of money, get a dyno before and after and you can see your gain.

In my opinion, removing the tank and seat makes things easier with just about everything you're doing up top. Do the seat bolt mod and install the gas line quick connect and the seat and tank removal becomes a 2 minute process. Of course, you should ride 100 miles before to removing the tank to lighten the load for lifting the tank off which leaves more strength for lifting beers.  :c

Also, HDL has a 10% off sale going on this weekend. If you don't have one, you may want to get yourself a service manual. They come in handy. Go ahead and get the blank off plates for the desmog, K & N FILTER, some roller ball pins for the seat from ACE hardware. (can't remember what they are really called) Look under tech write up on the site above and it should X PLAIN the seat mod as well as other stuff. Can't find the link for the gas line quick connect mod right now but it may be in the garage over at VTXOA.

Ride safe!  :bikerider:

RocknRoll

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Kingwood, TX
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 07:40:52 AM »

Filthy Serpent - Like Dusty says, there ain't no match for a professional installation at a certified tuner.  The difference between a "canned" map and and real one is significant.  Several HP difference.  Also, if you have after market pipes, you may avoid bluing them.  Canned maps don't consider desmog.  They take the least efficient range of the add-ons and try to average out them all.  They mostly just want to do on harm - like too lean/rich to damage motor and add ons.  However, if you want a guarantee the bike will be all it can be, try Johnny Cheese or Third Coast. On my X, the difference was almost 20 miles a tank.  If you ride behind someone with a canned map, you will know it instantly by the smell and the burning of your eyes.

Don't ask me how I know but I do from personal experience!!

:cool2: :bikerider:
Wanna make God laugh?  -  Tell him your plans!

Wanna make God angry?  -  Treat Him with indifference!

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal